New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pop-top mystery.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Keither
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pop-top mystery.

Well, I decided to buy some nice "pop top" bottles to put my beer in. I just opened the fourth bottle that didn't carbonate. I brewed a pilsener a while ago, and the first two that I opened were completely flat. All the other ones were perfectly fizzy. Then, I opened a bottle of stout I brewed a couple of months ago. Flat again. The next two were fizzy, then another flat one.

Each time the beers in question had been in the bottles for at least three weeks, and each time MOST of the beers were carbonated perfectly, except for two individual bottles which weren't.

At first I thought it might be possible I forgot to put sugar in a couple of them, but now I don't think so.

Has anyone else had sporadic trouble with carbonation in pop-top (grolsch-type) bottles? Are the gaskets letting the CO2 out when I put them in the fridge?

The good news is, the flat beer is still pretty good, it's just a little disappointing. Maybe I'm going nuts and forgetting to sugar all the bottles. I hope this doesn't keep happening!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Are the flat ones sweet?, if so, re-prime the flat bottles after putting new seals on them.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Haven't had that issue. Do all of your stoppers fit solidly?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, it requires pressure to force the bail down and compress the seal, so I thought they were seated properly. I'm wondering about it now of course. I examined one of the stoppers and it looks like at some point they did release some pressure, because there is a little beer stain around the seal. Maybe they aren't sealing properly. What a nuisance. I was going to age a coupe of the stout bottles for a long time; now it's hard to decide whether to bother or not because I don't know if they are carbed or not.

There was a slight amount of sediment on the bottom of one of the flat bottles, which makes me think the priming sugar WAS fermented at some point.

I thought of adding a bit more sugar and trying again, but instead I just drank the flat beer.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

dunno what to say - all of my fliptops are used, all of them have replacement seals i installed (Except the one that came with a silicone seal), and i've never had that problem.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did a search for "swingtop bottles" on the forum, and encountered several other posts by people with the same problem. Looks like I will have to maybe tighten the bails and make sure there is no mold lines on the plastic stoppers. This seems to be causing the trouble.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
jeremybrown9
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am fortunate enough to have access to all the flip top bottles that I need over here in Germany. I replace the rubber gasket every few brews, depending on the condition of gasket. The gaskets are really cheap to buy at any of the online HB super stores. I have never had a bottle not carbonate while practicing this routine.

Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Andy101
Recipes 

A buddy of mine got some of these pop tops, They were made from some hard plastic and he gave me half of them.
After a few days of using them i noticed they had actually popped back up. So the bottles were leaking co2.
I took all of them off and replaced the bottles with good quality tops.
The reusable pop tops were useless, I put mine into the garbage..

Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 478

No problems here...your suppose to replace th gaskets every 5-6 brews or when you see where but most of mine are getting up to 10 brews with no issues. What size are they? Most are 16oz and will take longer to carb.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Ever thought of looking in to "Batch Priming"? It is lots easier and you won't miss a bottle when you do it this way.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Quick Reply