Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Poor mans list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
drathbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure. So either the cork will blow or the bottle will if you carb with them.

I'm able to get food grade buckets from the bakery at my local grocery store. They usually have 3 or 5 gallon buckets for frosting and just toss them after use. I've gotten a few, cleaned them out, drilled a hole in the cover and put a grommet in. Good to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You can pick up a basic starter kit from most homebrew supply stores for $60-100

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you are doing a cider first you can skip some of the parts you need for boiling a wort and split up your expenditures. Use some store bought, no-preservative juice or frozen extract and get a cheap first batch in. Then start springing for more gear, better ingredients, etc.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to direct you to this "Cider" recipie:

EdWort's Apfelwein

Easy as kiss my hand to make, and tastes great still or carbonated. If you read through the recipe you'll see that you don't need everything on your list right away.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1
You can always ask restaurants to see if they have any food grade buckets. They throw those away or get rid of them all the time They might be freebies. I'd also recommend checking your local Thrift store for pots. I have seen pots on the cheap in the past...but unfortunately, it was before I was into the hobby so didn't take advantage of them.

Just thoughts on cutting down more of your costs if you're trying to get the minimum required equipment
I get various size buckets (2,3.5,4,5) gal buckets from my local grocery store's bakery, icing comes in them. You can put a spigot on one of those for a cheap bottling bucket

Same with a pot, scored a 5gal with a 2gal bonus for $20 in the spring at the same grocery store.

Keep a look out on CL I got almost all of my equipment from there and the classifieds here on HBT are good but you gotta be fast at responding :-). Good luck and welcome to the obsession!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
usul
Recipes 

wow lots of great ideas, will continue to check for new info, thanks a bunch guys

Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
usul
Recipes 

It has been 4 days since we started our first batch, and we are really excited. We went with http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/ we expect it to be a bit dryer than what we want but plan to back sweeten, and add sugar to the original reciepe in future batches once we know what it will taste like finished. I would love to hear any tips on back sweetening.

Quick Reply