Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pooling wort in the fermentor on the same day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
masscarriers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Pooling wort in the fermentor on the same day

Hi guys,

I recently started brewing and love the experience. However, space and equipment is still an issue for me.

I only own a 3 gallons boiling pot at home and plan to buy something larger soon enough but meanwhile I wondered if I could brew two batches of wort and just pool them in the the fermentor. I read somewhere in the forums that adding wort a day or two after the initial fermentation started is risky since introducing oxygen might stall the yeast. On the other hand, leaving the first wort batch in the fermentor without pitching could lead to contamination issues if the sanitation isn't spot on. Should I be worried for a few hours (the time needed to brew a second batch)?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Shouldn't be any problem.

If I was in your position, I would brew, cool, and rack to the bucket/carboy. Immediately start brewing again (if it's extract...if you're doing all grain, you should be mashing one batch while cooling the other, if possible). Roughly split the brew time in half to determine when to pitch yeast (if the second batch will be ready 3 hours after the first, pitch yeast after an hour and a half).

That would leave little to worry about in terms of infection. And oxidation would not be a concern.

P.S. Oxygen will not hurt yeast at all...they love it. It will ruin a batch of beer after fermentation really takes off, though. Oxygen before or immediately after pitching yeast is good; oxygen well after yeast is pitched is bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply