Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pomegranate juice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default Pomegranate juice?

Anyone ever brew with pomegranate juice? I love those tasty little buggers and I'm thinking of making my next white with honey and pomegranate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
cptnthompson
Recipes 

I'm about to put my american wheat into secondary tonight and I plan on adding some POM. I'll let ya know how it goes

Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Subscribed.

Be sure to post your results cptnthompson.

I am splitting a 5 gallon batch of American Wheat into two 3 gallon carboys for secondary. One will have pomegranate juice, the other will have either peaches or apricots. I just brewed this beer on Sunday (7-18-10) so I won't be transferring to secondary for another week or two.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did a Magic Hat #9 clone (on request). I don't really like the character that the apricot adds... I would do a fruit again, but not apricot.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
cptnthompson
Recipes 

I ended up using 1 quart of Pomegranate juice and one half quart of Pomegranate Blueberry juice. I'll post the end results in a week or two.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

i used pomegranate paste in a wheat added to six bottles out of 50 at bottling time. I gotta say, all the pomegranate did was make it a bit more dry and tart, all the sugars got eaten by the yeast. It wasnt bad tasting, just not what I was expecting. I don't know how using POM would be any different. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
cptnthompson
Recipes 

So far, I've had the batch in secondary for 5 days now. it started to ferment again and is about done i think. I gave it a quick sample and was very very pleased! It started off sweet with a semi-strong Pomegranate flavor (but not overpowering) with a hint of blueberry to it. You can taste the hops ever so lightly at the back of the tounge. You can also get some of the peach hints from the us-05 yeast I used. So all in all, I'm happy about my results from the juice.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I made a mead a while back that had pomegranate juice in it.

I just threw it together and waited to see what would happen (added like four different fruit juices just to see what would happen)

It was freaking delicious. didn't have that weird tart aftertaste that the pomegranate usually has, actually tasted more like Manischewitz.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm currently drinking a Graff that I did with 3 gallons of apple juice and 1 gallon of pomegranite. Its pretty tasty stuff. The pom juice was expensive (@$14/gal) and doesn't ferment down as good as apple juice, but the added flavor is awesome.

Edit: If you go with store bought juice, make sure you get it without preservatives.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnthompson View Post
So far, I've had the batch in secondary for 5 days now. it started to ferment again and is about done i think. I gave it a quick sample and was very very pleased! It started off sweet with a semi-strong Pomegranate flavor (but not overpowering) with a hint of blueberry to it. You can taste the hops ever so lightly at the back of the tounge. You can also get some of the peach hints from the us-05 yeast I used. So all in all, I'm happy about my results from the juice.
Maybe I should re-evaluate my volumes. I was planning on using 0.5 gallons of POM mixed with 2.5 gallons of American Wheat in the secondary. You used a much lower ratio and say you've achieved positive results. The last thing I want is an overwhelming pomegranate beer. Maybe I should be thinking about 1 quart in the 2.5 gallon secondary......

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Quick Reply