Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Plug Popped out of Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
I_HOP_GA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plug Popped out of Carboy

First brew there was a lot of foam spewing out to the air lock but everything looked ok. The next morning the air lock had clogged and popped the plug which was left over night. Day 3 not much bubbling coming from airlock. Did I mess it up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

Nope. Use a blowoff tube in the future (tube extending from your plug to a jug of sanitizer, vodka, etc.). They are harder to plug up and are generally regarded as a safer alternative to the airlock.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
I_HOP_GA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste
Nope. Use a blowoff tube in the future (tube extending from your plug to a jug of sanitizer, vodka, etc.). They are harder to plug up and are generally regarded as a safer alternative to the airlock.
Do you think thee fermentation has stopped? Little to no bubbling from air lock this morning.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
freisste
Recipes 

No, I think it is absolutely fine. Fermentation always slows once the fast, active part is done. This just means that your fast, active part is done. As unionrdr would say, "now it will slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG. Wait for it to settle out clear or slightly misty."

After that, take a gravity reading and another a couple days later. If they are the same, bottle; if not, wait longer.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
I_HOP_GA
Recipes 

Thank you so much. I am at work right now and have just been stressing about it all day.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You will be much happier if you leave it be for at least two weeks and 3-4 is even better. I know, it will drive you nuts and you want to drink it! We've all been there! But the yeast will continue to work on the sugars as well as clean up the byproducts of that vigorous fermentation. Your beer will taste so much better with some conditioning time.

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

RDWHAHB (RDW now, HAHB when you get home). You are fine.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
I_HOP_GA
Recipes 

So I shouldn't bottle it up after a week or two? I did two batches of different stuff. I think I can manage to keep my hands off of it for a little while. Just need to find a better place to store it.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
nolanj48729
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm still real new to this also only on my 3rd batch but the first few days of fermentation are the most vigorous then it will slow. As long as you still are getting bubbles from the air lock even if its only ounce in a while its still fermenting.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
I_HOP_GA
Recipes 

Ok great. My dad says my home brew will taste like crap... Really want to make something a little decent.

Quick Reply