The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pliny Recipe Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So if I leave the carapils out can I expect decent body and head retention with just the DME, crystal and corn sugar? I never really thought about body until making my first watery feeling beer and now I notice it in everything I drink and prefer a beer with good body.

If I follow MonkeyWrench's recommendation on amounts and keep the Carapils I'll be at a little over 12% corn surgar correct? If my calculation is correct I think this is what I'll go with.

I just checked Mr. Malty and based on the age of my yeast I'm going to need a 1.5 liter starter. Should this be big, healthy and nasty enough?

I'm definitely doing full boil on this one. I actually just got a burner and 11 g kettle, but I don't have the means to cool five gallons efficiently so I'm only going to do 2.5 gallons for this first attempt. My other kettle is only 3.5 gallons. Hopefully Santa will be leaving me an immersion cooler so I can bump it up to 5 gallons if this first attempt is successful.

It needs to be successful...with the burner, kettle, propane tank, ingredients, stir plate and flask this is going to be a really expensive beer. I'm sure it will get much cheaper over time.

Thanks again for the input and advice! I can't wait to brew this one...maybe I can get it in Friday afternoon if the family leaves early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
MonkeyWrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's how mine worked out for my 1.064, as you see the CS is already in the recommended range:

6lb DME 75%
.5lb Carapils 6.25%
.5lb C-40 6.25%
1lb Corn Sugar 12.5%

Here's what happens when I remove the CP and adjust up to 1.065:

6.25lb DME 80.65%
.5lb C-40 6.45%
1lb Corn Sugar 12.9%

Or if you keep the DME the same and up the CS:

6lb DME 77.42%
.5lb C-40 6.45%
1.25lb Corn Sugar 16.13%

The reason the corn sugar is up there already is the fact that so much less DME is used compared to a larger grain bill to equal the same OG, so it throws the % off from the original recipe.

I can't make any recommendations based on experience to the effect of the carapils in an extract batch. At some point you will have added more sugar than the extract malt can cover/counteract/whatever and you will end up with a thin beer, where that number is, I can't comment. Given the recommendations, maybe leave it out for this batch, if it seems a bit thin, adjust it for the next batch. Or heck, throw it in if you have it, and maybe leave it out for the next batch. (once you taste it, there will be a next batch...trust me)

For my starter, I used a smack pack added to a 1l starter overnight. I also added 1tsp of yeast nutrient to the wort boil at 10min. This thing was chugging away the next morning. I want to say that Vinnie has recommended not over pitching because he likes to stress the yeast. I would think a 1.5l starter for a 2.5g batch should be plenty.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The carapils is already mixed in with the crystal so I guess I'll go with it on this try. I think I'll go with your first recipe with 6 lbs DME and 1lb corn sugar this time around and maybe mess with it a little on future attempts if I feel that it needs it.

I was hoping to get this done this weekend but I won't be able to get the starter going until this afternoon and we're travelling tomorrow morning, so I guess it's going to have to wait until next weekend. Maybe I'll make a small SMaSH Sunday afternoon.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So I finally got around to making this today and overshot my volume by somewhere between one and two quarts. I did a quick boil this morning to try to figure out my boil off with my new pot and burner but I still ended up over. SG was 1.054 instead of 1.064. Is there anything I can do at this point to increase the gravity or should I just roll with it and start with less water next time?

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Quick Reply