Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pliny the Elder clone hop schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
dizzyfun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pliny the Elder clone hop schedule

Hi all. I'm planning on brewing a Pliny the Elder clone this weekend and have found a few differences between hop schedules. I have printed Dud's clone recipe and the 'official" pdf.

Dude's calls for:
Chinook 1.5oz mash hop

Warrior 2.75 oz @ 90
Chinook .5 oz @ 90

Simcoe 1 oz @ 45

Columbus 1 oz @ 30

Centennual 2.25 oz @ 0
Simcoe 1 oz @ 0

The pdf from Vinnie calls for:
CTZ 3.5 oz @ 90

CTZ .75 oz @ 45

Simcoe 1 oz @ 30

Centennial 1 oz @ 0
Simcoe 2.5 oz @ 0

I did not include the dry hop schedule because it's about the same.
Any thoughts on the differences? My first impression is that maybe the brewery changed the recipe a bit and that both are actual direct from the brewery.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
dizzyfun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, did a little reading on mash hopping and how any benefit is marginal. Sounds like first wort hopping is preferred. If I FWH instead of MH, should I reduce the amount? Even beyond this, the hop schedules are still very different.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

FWH gives perceived bitterness of a 20 minute addition, according to Gordon Strong's book. I've found this seems about right with my brews I've done with FWH, but others differ on the amount and it probably comes down to sensitivity of the palate. I think 1.5 oz of Chinook for FWH will be a good amount. You'll somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 IBU with that.

Quick Reply