Please tell me your tips for dry hopping in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggwardo

Reaction score
First off, I've been reading this forum for years, and this is the first time I've ever had to post a question, and that's probably just because of poor searching on my part. What a great resource, thanks.

I'm going to be doing my first dry hop this weekend and am just curious if anyone wants to share any helpful tips they have discovered when doing their dry hopping. I am using about 1.5oz of pellet hops in a 6 gallon carboy. I only plan to dry hop for a week.

I thought i would put the hops in a little satchel and shove it in the thing but it seems like it will just float around. And then how do I get the dang thing out? Or maybe i just dump them pellets right in? But then will i have hop floaties in my beer?

Anyway, any tips you would like to share would be appreciated.

Just dump right in. They break up and most will sink eventually, some will float on top. Then just use a hop bag on your racking cake to keep the pieces out of your bottling bucket. Piece of cake.

I had bad luck dropping mine right in when bottling day rolled around. Made it difficult to rack even with a filter bag on the end of my siphon. That was just me though, alot of other brewers have said its not a problem.

I now use a hop bag for dry hopping, sanitized in starsan.

i've just dumped it in. Cold crashed and did gelatin and everything has settled pretty neatly on the bottom. never had a problem. But i keg. First and last pour are a little cloudy.. but nothing major.

pellet hops poured into the carboy and a filter bag on the racking cane.

I attach the filter bag with small zip ties about 4" from the end of the cane with the bag loose. This give a lot of surface area and it never clogs.

I agree with everything TyTanium said, though they will all drop out of suspension in about 8-10 days. If you dryhop less than that, you may have a small amount still floating, but it's not a big deal if you wrap the racking cane with the mesh bag and avoid agitating the carboy when racking. I prevent agitation from leaving the carboy at counter height so I can rack directly from that spot without moving it. In most cases, you can skip the cold crash by doing so. Time and gravity work better than anything else at clearing up your beer.

Back