Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Please help. Is this mold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
abc08234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Please help. Is this mold?

Does this look like mold? If so, is the beer ruined? Notice the floaties on the top near the neck area.

The Stout has been bottle conditioned for about a month (I only had time to drink a few bottles).

dsc01212.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Can't say that I see any mold for sure. Does it smell moldy or taste moldy? If not, then drink up. It could just be some yeast that refuses to settle out or got stuck up near the neck.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah the picture is pretty hard to see anything. Did you have an infection in your primary? Do other bottles look like that?

Off topic, is that a clear bottle you used to condition in or did you just pour the beer into that?

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think mold needs oxygen and if your beer is carbonated, it's not there. It's most likely yeast floaties. Your beer won't be crystal clear and filtered like the big breweries. If you don't drink it, send me a PM and I'll take it off your hands

Looks tasty, by the way!

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
abc08234
Recipes 

no infection in primary. I racked to a mr beer keg and mixed with corn sugar solution, then bottle from the keg. I chose a corona bottle for this exact purpose so that I can see what's in the beer. But I can say that when I racked I kicked up quite a few of the yeast cake. But I didn't noticed the floaties at the beginning right after bottling. After some searching other thread so posters suggest they are byproduct of the priming sugar.

The previous bottle I drink as all OK, but I didn't check if there were floaties.

guess I'll crack another one open torromow and see how it taste.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
abc08234
Recipes 

btw all the bottles have some floaties just like this one. I used star sans on all of them before bottling, and I bottled them with the foam too, so I figure the bottles are clean, and I did not have moldy like floats in the primary. If it's not mold what can it be? *scratch head*

Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc08234 View Post
btw all the bottles have some floaties just like this one. I used star sans on all of them before bottling, and I bottled them with the foam too, so I figure the bottles are clean, and I did not have moldy like floats in the primary. If it's not mold what can it be? *scratch head*
Probably yeast. You're doing just fine. Whether racked from primary or secondary, yeast will be in suspension. It's at the bottom of every keg I brew and if the temp is warm enough and there is sugar available, it will become active. Please don't stress.

To give you another perspective here's my process. I brew in primary for 21 days. The beer fully ferments and the yeast will compact at the bottom of the fermenter. I then rack it to the keg with minimal yeast in suspension. Then a force carb. Then draw off 8 ounces to get the settled yeast. Then bottle a few. By that time there is very little yeast.

The fact that you used corn sugar and did not force carb with a Co2 tank leads me to believe that it is yeast sediment from the corn sugar.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
abc08234
Recipes 

False alarm. I put the bottles in the fridge overnight and viola the floaties are gone. The beer tasted fine as well.

Thanks for all those who helped.

Quick Reply