I was given 24 Grolsch bottles and an old John Bull kit by a neighbor that learned I was a home brewer. I can't tell the age of the can, so I said to myself wth, I'll give it a try. If it works, out of courtesy I'd give 1/2 the batch to him.
That was about 4pm ET yesterday. As of 9:45 AM today, there is absolutely no evidence of activity in the primary that I can see. (No foam or outgassing)
My experience using Coopers and other kits has the yeast taking off in just a few hours at 74 deg f . I then allow the temperature of the wort to fall off to 65 where it remains until F/G. (Works for me right or wrong)...
My questions are as follows:
Is the yeast old and dead ?
If so, can I put on another batch and use half the yeast for it and half to "jump start" the John Bull ?
Did you use the dry yeast that came with the kit? It was probably pretty old if so. You can add a new packet of yeast to the fermenter, no problem there. I wouldn't suggest splitting the pack, because it will take a while for the yeast to start up in both batches. Yes, it would work, but a pack of dry yeast is pretty cheap, you might as well use a full pack for both batches.
If it's convenient for you to get another packet of fresh yeast I'd do it, but wait at least 72 hours before you pitch it. At only 18 hours it's way to early to pronounce the yeast dead.
There's a thread stating it's not uncommon for visibly active fermentation to take up to 72 hours.
You may also get more help if you are more descriptive with your thread titles.
There are 1000s of threads on HBT and if you want people to look at yours you need to make them interested.
Thanks for the assist guys.
Yes, I used the packet from the kit.
It's not a matter of money to purchase more yeast, It's access.
The nearest HBS is 35 miles away and he's closed today.
He ships to me but it takes a few days to get here.
I'm mainly concerned about ruining the batch, although it was free.
If general consensus says I have a few days before it goes bad, or becomes infected, (I am liberal with the Star-San and use Vodka in the air lock),
I will get some more yeast.
I just remembered I have 2 other kits WITH YEAST in my closet...
I could steel one of these and replace it later.
I will, in any case wait 72 hrs for signs of life before re-pitching.
I will let you know how it goes.
Again, Thank You for your replies !
I waited a few days for signs of activity, none found.
I stole the yeast packet from the Coopers kit and pitched at 4pm on Wed the 18th.
By 6:15 am Thursday, the airlock was venting as is normal for my setup.
Your guess about the original yeast being dead was likely correct.
Starting gravity Sunday was 1.040, now 7 days later (Sunday) 1.020. The rate of decrease has slowed, but it is still out-gassing.
This brew is darker, "sweeter and heavier" tasting than I'm used to. This could be good...
I'll post when it reaches F/G.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.