New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Please give your thoughts on my Saison process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
MountainGoatBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Please give your thoughts on my Saison process

Hey, everyone...started a couple of other threads in regard to this brew we made last week - a Belgian IPA w/ ginger & lemongrass. Basically, everything looks and tastes good, but I'm curious about how to proceed on a few things.

Brewed it last Sunday night. OG was 1.063. Fermentation went off, and five days later was at 1.034. I'm headed over to take another reading today, and if it's stuck there, what should I do? The Wyeast website this strain is notorious for sticking around 1.035, but elevating the temps upwards of 90º and/or pitching a secondary strain can help fermentation finish. I'm not sure I can get much over 80º, which is where it's been near for the week, but I'm sure I could pitch another yeast if needed...has anyone done that before, and if so, which strain did you use?

My original plan was to rack it today if it was down around the projected FG of 1.014. I was thinking of straining out the ginger and lemongrass, so that those flavors don't get too out of control (could taste both flavors pretty nicely as of Friday), and then dry hopping with Simcoe for a couple of weeks.

What should I do if it's not done fermenting? More yeast? Just wait longer? I really need it to be all sorted out by Aug. 2nd, as I'm going out of town for 6 weeks!

Sorry if you've all heard this before, but thanks for any insights!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply