Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Plastic bottles and other confessions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
solardollars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic bottles and other confessions...

Man, this site is great. Quick responses from people who KNOW a lot about beer.

I know this is sacrilege, but I use 20 packs of plastic water bottles from Wal-Mart. The case only costs me $4, it holds back tremendous carbonation pressures, the water is already sterilized........just pour it out.......and bottle my beer into the 20 ounce bottles. Simple. The case holds 3.75 gallons and is much simpler than cleaning all those glass bottles. And yes, I keep it in the dark to prevent the light from damaging the beer. So is it just tradition that keeps people from doing this??

Another confession. I am almost ashamed of this. I had a batch in which the yeast just flat quit on me. Instead of re-pitching, I wanted to bottle.....and NOW. So I......ummm.......went to the liquor store and bought a fifth of Everclear (grain alcohol) and put it in my wort, primed it and bottled it. And it carbonated just as expected and tastes great. Am I a bad person? (hahahahaha!!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh Good Lord. Next you'll be using a Edsel radiator as a wort chiller...

Old 07-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That's a good idea but... Those bottles will allow your beer to oxidize quicker than HB plastic bottles because they are more permeable by oxygen. It'll be good for a while, but I'd drink it quick.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
That's a good idea but... Those bottles will allow your beer to oxidize quicker than HB plastic bottles because they are more permeable by oxygen. It'll be good for a while, but I'd drink it quick.
Ya know, the more I think about this argument (glass v plastic) the more I wonder about the supposed impermiability of glass. Over time, glass will develop cracks and fissures in the microsurface. Those will allow in air.

Who's to say that a well used carboy isn't as permiable as a plastic fermenter? Plastic is far less brittle than glass.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Solar, have you had problems with the bottom of the bottles buldging out? It seems as though I read that somewhere.

I've yet to brew my first batch. I am prepping for it though.

Out of my collection of standard bottles, I also have a few 32 and 40oz twist-off bottles...aluminum caps with plastic inserts.

Will it be okay to use those a time or two before ditching them? Or should I not even bother? I was just thinking...awe hell, I'm not thinking.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, don't feel too bad. I'm using 2 liter pop bottles that are cleaned and sanitized. They are meant to hold pressure and since I pour into a glass anyways, I can't see putting in the time and effort of sanitizing 50-60 glass bottles and don't need caps and a capper either. 10 2-liter bottles and I'm good to go for a 5 gallon batch. I bottle and then put in a dark closet kept at about 68° for 3 weeks.

Oxygenation is not a problem as I usually start drinking them at 2 weeks and finish them up in a couple of weeks. Plus, I think the pop bottles are PET anyway.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I'm pretty sure that there are special plastic bottles that you can buy that are PET, but I would highly doubt the ones you have (standard soda bottles) are.

As noted, some of these approaches may be fine for quick-to-brew, quick-to-drink beers, but you'll need to graduate to a more sophisticated approach if you ever start brewing the kinds of bigger beers that can use more aging.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It just doesnt seem right unless you bottle them in glass. You dont get that nostalgic opening sound with the cap and all that. You get a fizz, but there is no cap!

Austin homebrew has those self opening caps... those are PIMP!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply