New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Plastic bottle carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
mahilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic bottle carboy?

Is a "Better Bottle" any different than the plastic 5 gallon water bottles from a typical water cooler service? Any reason why one of these plastic bottles can't or shouldn't be used as a carboy? Is the cost of a better bottle worth it if I can get a generic bottle for...let's just say free.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
oms1981
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm no expert but I would guess that regular 5 gallon water jugs probably have BPA in them since it is found in many hard plastics. Look at the recycling symbol on the bottom. If I recall correctly a #1 or #7 is bad news. The better bottle is made to be non-porous, not permit oxygen permeability, and not create off flavors, so they say. I've never used one. I personally would be extremely cautious about using a random 5 gallon jug. But when it comes to making beer, i'm cautious about everything. that's just me.

Last edited by oms1981; 02-23-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Maveric777
Recipes 

I have 4 of them I been using since I first started. They are the same thing as the Better Bottles except they don't have the "Better Bottle" logo on the side of them. Plus mine where way cheaper.... As in free....lol

They are perfectly fine to use......

On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Ben25
Recipes 

#1 PET is good, #7 Other is bad. Better Bottles are #1.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Wintermute
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben25 View Post
#1 PET is good, #7 Other is bad. Better Bottles are #1.
I just looked on the bottom of a Chrystal Springs 5 gal, and it's a #7. I have to admit, I've been using them as secondaries for about 7 months now and have been pretty pleased with the results. Once one gets dingy, I take it back to the store and exchange it. If memory serves correctly, these are #10 stoppers I use in them and they work great! If you do go this route, it's important that you check each bottle's condition carefully before you use it; I don't know how but i had part of a seam open up on one once and leak.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
telemaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
I just looked on the bottom of a Chrystal Springs 5 gal, and it's a #7. I have to admit, I've been using them as secondaries for about 7 months now and have been pretty pleased with the results. Once one gets dingy, I take it back to the store and exchange it. If memory serves correctly, these are #10 stoppers I use in them and they work great! If you do go this route, it's important that you check each bottle's condition carefully before you use it; I don't know how but i had part of a seam open up on one once and leak.
That makes me nervous with my Apfelwein sitting on the living room carpet in one of these things... My basement is on the low end of the fermentation temps for Montrachet, or it would be down there with the rest of my brews; where a cleanup, if necessary, would be much much easier!

But back to the OP's topic. If you didn't catch it already, I am using a water jug for my Apfelwein, but beer goes in an opaque bucket fermenter then a glass secondary.

It all comes down to methods... YMMV, but it will still make beer. If you are getting strong off flavors in your beer that can be attributed to oxidation, I would change your method. If not, carry on.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
JMG680
Recipes 

I use the "Better Bottle" and like them alot. I Have dropped one already, and if it was glass it would have cost me a pretty penny.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My local water sucks, taste and smells terrible, I use a pur filter for drinking and some cooking, but can't get enough for a brew in a reasonable amount of time, plus the filters are expensive.

So, I use the locally available 5 gal water bottles, which are #7 and contain BPA (ugh)

Here is what the Primo water company has to say about their bottles and BPA

Q. Primo 3 and 5 gallon bottles are identified with the #7 code. Do they contain any BPA?
A. Primo is committed to responsible and safe distribution of its entire family of great tasting, environmentally friendly water products.

Primo 3 and 5 gallon bottles, which carry the #7 classification, are made from polycarbonate which contains Bisphenol A.

On August 14, 2008, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a report stating that the agency continues to consider typical exposure of humans to bisphenol A as being safe. FDA reviewed the most recent scientific publications that called into question the safety of polycarbonate due to the leaching of trace quantities of bisphenol A from polycarbonate containers, including baby bottles, and package liners into the food. The preliminary conclusions in this draft assessment by FDA are similar to recent statements made by European, Canadian, and other food safety regulators, all concluding that the level of exposure to bisphenol A through food containers and packaging is safe for consumers.
# To learn more about Bisphenol A:.
o U.S. Food and Drug Administration – Meeting of the Bisphenol A Subcommittee of the Science Board to the Food and Drug Administration
o Health Canada - Minister's Remarks on Bisphenol A - Minister's Speech 2008-04-18 - Health Canada
o American Plastics Council®: http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/PDFs/PC_Safety-April_25_2006.pdf
o Are the Myths About Polycarbonate Bottles True? New Information Supports the Safe Use of Polycarbonate Bottles. - Bisphenol-A | Polycarbonate Bottles Are Safe To Re-Use, New Study Finds

Quick Reply