New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Planning a Porter for Halloween Brew Session

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
jmiracle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Planning a Porter for Halloween Brew Session (now with Questions)

Hey guys, I'm just posting to say that I'm about to brew my second batch this Wednesday, I have the day off to take care of some business and when I'm home it's brew-time!

Thanks to this site I think this brew will be way better than my first, even though my first brown ale is still a treat. I made a starter for this one and it's going good right now. I'm planning an ice bath to chill the wort this time, last time I added the hot wort to the water in the Ale Pail and proceeded to wait until 2:30 AM for pitching temps. I'm planning to rack this one to a secondary and probably follow the 1-2-3 method. Hopefully I can be patient this time since I'll have some other homebrews already ready to drink, the waiting just about killed me with the first batch!

I'm using a Brewer's Best Kit for this since that's about all my LHBS has on hand, I might have to go the online route for ordering individual supplies.

Last edited by jmiracle; 10-30-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
jmiracle

Recipes 

I've got a starter question...when I made the starter I made the mistake of sticking the jug out in my garage because it was a warm day and I wanted it out of the way. Well that night (Sunday night) it got really cold here in Michigan, and when I went to check on the starter it was ice cold and the krausen that had formed seemed very diminished (I can't be 100% sure because it's an amber jug). I moved it into room temps 65-70 yesterday. Will this be all right? It seems like yeast is pretty hardy but I'm not sure if there'd be a problem with pitching it tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
jmiracle

Recipes 

Also should I have been swirling it more regularly? I've probably only swirled it like 3 times in 2 days (oops)

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Last edited by jmiracle; 10-30-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
jmiracle

Recipes 

I guess nobody is reading this but it went off great! The starter really helped, I had vigorous fermentation by the next morning.

gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
foureyedgeek
Recipes 

Hey, congrats!

No input otherwise though.

In Bottles: Steam Beer
In Drain: EAssB (first brew ever)

Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
jmiracle

Recipes 

Hey thanks man, it's cool everything worked out, I'm really glad I found this site!

Quick Reply