Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitching a yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Blaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching a yeast starter

OK, so I made a yeast starter, but not certain how or what to pitch? Should I pour off the starter liquid and just use the yeast sediments from the bottom, or shake it up and pitch the whole thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
OK, so I made a yeast starter, but not certain how or what to pitch? Should I pour off the starter liquid and just use the yeast sediments from the bottom, or shake it up and pitch the whole thing?
either way is OK.

If it's a small starter like a quart then I pitch the whole thing. If it's big like a half gallon then I pour the top part doen the drain and pitch only the yeast cake.

NOTE: To pour of the liquid it's best to let the starter go a bit longer so the yeast has time to finish growing and flocculate. If you did it to soon you'd end up wasting all the yeast that is still in suspension.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've always just pitch the whole thing and never had problems.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

May be a dumb question but I am going to be pitching my first yeast starter tomorrow and does the yeast cake at the bottom pour out easy? If not, how does one get the cake pitched into the fermenter?

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255 View Post
May be a dumb question but I am going to be pitching my first yeast starter tomorrow and does the yeast cake at the bottom pour out easy? If not, how does one get the cake pitched into the fermenter?
Just shake/swirl it before pouring, that'll get the yeast unstuck from the bottom.

Quick Reply