Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitching yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
McGreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching yeast question

Is it better to sprinkle the yeast directly over the 70 degree wort or to dissolve it first in cooled boil water? I have conflicting directions on my recipe. Thanks!

Sláinte!

Currently working at the Port Jeff Brewing Co. in Port Jefferson, NY - check us out on the web:
www.portjeffbrewing.com

FV 1: Imperial Stout
FV 2: Irish Red (Secondary)
FV 3: Empty

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Irish Stout, Hefeweizen, Blueberry Hefe, Belgian Style Summer Ale, Guinness Clone, American Light, Irish Red, Whiskey-Barrel Stout, Honey Stout

On Deck: Kolsch-Style Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have dry yeast, some people like to rehydrate but I would be willing to bet that most of us (myself included) just sprinkle the stuff in. Dry yeast works very well without any starter or anything; it is sort of known for that. RDWHAH, and sprinkle it on in!

On tap: Limerick Session Stout, Junior/Senior Amarillo RyePA, Ralph Partigyle Bitter, Saison de Potiron
On Deck: Yazoo Gerst Clone, Experimental Belgian Mild, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH bitter, Belgian IPA, Coffee Cream Stout
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Ive noticed a good difference in hydrating. You get a faster start and its supposed to be healthier for the yeast. Ive noticed on Danstar Nottinghams website also that for like the munich yeast it says to hydrate but you dont have to aerate your wort if you hydrate. I used to pitch direct but hydrating has been giving me good beer weather its my other techinque or better ingredients, i dont know for shure but im sticking with hydrating. I always boil some water last 10 min of the boil and cool it and cool the wort while hydrating the yeast halfway through the wortcooling.It also gave me something to do while the wort cooled and doesnt take much time and you dont lose time.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've done both with no problems, rehydrating dry yeast would be the way to go though.Get it started when you begin to chill your wort it should be ready within half hour.

Cheers!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I used to rehydrate - not anymore. There is little measurable difference (that I've seen anyway) in lag time, and rehydrating is an extra step that I simply don't care for since I still make perfectly good beer without having to do it.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS