New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitching temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
baywoodbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching temp

Hello all. My first post here. I've been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a great deal so far.

Anyway, on my second batch (BB kit: California Imperial Pale) everything was going pretty well with the boiling, etc. I cooled the wort down to ~72F using the ice bath method in the sink. All was well and good until I put the rest of the 3 gallons of ~35 to 40F spring water into the 6.5 gallon fermenter. This brought the temp down to about 48-50F.

I didn't think it would be good to put the yeast in the wort that was this cool, so we put the lit on lightly and let it sit for a while (an hour or two?) to let it warm up to about 58-60F at which point I went ahead an pitched the dry packet of yeast. I realize I probably increased my chances of contamination by waiting so long to pitch.

I haven't checked to see if any action is occurring yet (it's been 44 hrs?), but for future reference, what is my "safe range" for wort temperature when pitching the yeast? Would it have been better to pitch right away or let it warm up a bit first? Obviously keeping a better handle on the temps would have been the right thing to do in the first place...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since many an extract brewer has waited overnight to let the wort get to optimal temperatures, I think you might be being over-reactionary Really, risk of contamination is pretty minimal IF you had properly sanitized your fermentor and you have it properly sealed. My prediction is that your batch will turn out excellent!

As for pitching temps....your yeast manufacturer should have details about what ranges are optimal. Ale yeasts are going to not like 50 degrees, obviously, but lager yeasts will do fine. Though I imagine most yeast strains might just go dormant at 50, but won't die (IE no longer be viable).

One suggestion: if you don't have a floating thermometer, get one! I've always used one, and it's great for keeping abreast of your wort temp. You can either sanitize it while you're doing your boil, or with whatever sanitizer you use for your fermentor.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Last edited by davesrose; 01-26-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pitching too cool is generally ok - it'll increase the lag time before fermentation kicks in, but it won't kill the yeast and they'll wake up as the temperature increases. Remember that you stored them in the fridge before brewing - yeast don't mind a little cold, they just go to sleep.

Too cool is much better than too hot, which will stress or kill the yeast and can create off flavors.

The other good news is that if it was too cool for yeast to grow, it's also too cool for most other nasties, so contamination is less of a concern.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

During the summer out here, I cannot get my wort to below about 75 with my chiller, so I end up putting it into the fermenter and sticking it into the fridge for 4-6 hours until it gets to the temp I am looking for. I have never worried about contamination in this time. Since it can take up to 72 hours for a fermentation to start, a couple of hours is not a huge deal.

Also, pitching at 50 would have been ok, but 60 is better. It would have just started much more slowly at the lower temp.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
baywoodbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for answering my n00b questions, folks! Once I get home from my day job, I'll put on my brew hat and check the stuff out.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply