Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitching onto a yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
ShartAttack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitching onto a yeast cake

Right now I'm brewing a saison using Wyeast 3724. I figure fermentation will be done in a few days and then I might rack it to a secondary to let the yeast settle out some more.

At the same time as I ordered the saison kit from Northern Brewer, I also ordered the petit saison kit with a pack of Wyeast 3711. I got to thinking, would it work to brew the petit saison, and then dump that on to the 3724 yeast cake? Or am I better off just chucking the trub and using the 3711 smack pack as I originally planned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
RacingRam
Not left handed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You'll get fermentation and probably tasty beer pitching onto the yeast cake. The main problem is that the cell count is higher than necessary, so the yeast won't reproduce. Yeast reproduction is important during fermentation, but I can't remember why off the top of my head. I think there's a sticky in the Yeast forum.

Awesome name, by the way. Do you watch Workaholics?

• You know what they say: beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before pain killers and muscle relaxers, teepee town barbecue sound!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
tjwor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mragin covered most of it...

One other thing to think of is any minor bugs in a batch will multiply greatly with each additional pitch.

If your sanitation practices are lacking at all you could see issues, most likely not from a first time re-pitch, but always a chance.

Check out my website on making really good homebrew www.BrewingStory.com! If you are looking for a job check out www.wildcatjob.com or www.itt-techjobs.com!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
shoshin
Shoshin Picobrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I seem to remember hearing or reading that many of the Belgian strains produce their characteristic by products during reproduction. Over pitching if this is the case coil deprive your second saison of tasty Belgian funk or flavor

Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Belgian Quad
Kegged: Columbus IPA, Dark Mild
Bottled:
-RIS
-Belgian Dubbel
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2013)
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2014)
-Olde Ale
-Cascadian Dark Ale

Up Next: Breakfast Stout, IIPA, Vienna Lager

Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Rack to secondary. Pour about 1/3 or so of the slurry into a sanitized jar. Pitch within a week to your next batch. You don't have to use the whole yeast cake.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
ShartAttack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
Rack to secondary. Pour about 1/3 or so of the slurry into a sanitized jar. Pitch within a week to your next batch. You don't have to use the whole yeast cake.
Thanks for all of the advice guys! I might try this, saving some of the slurry while I make up my mind. I'd like to try out both yeasts, but I also get what people mention about possible contamination. I think my technique is good so far but I've been taking lots of hydrometer readings with this one so maybe it's best not to risk another batch with the yeast.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Lots of us and I mean LOTS of us reuse yeast with no issues at all. You can wash the yeast or slant it or what I do is just reuse the slurry. It is not anything to be worried about as long as you are careful with your sanitation.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1008 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
I do this often, when brewing a big beer. After racking to the bottling bucket or keg, put the yeast in a sanitized Ball jar and use the next weekend.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I do this often, when brewing a big beer. After racking to the bottling bucket or keg, put the yeast in a sanitized Ball jar and use the next weekend.
Yes, I do this all the time. I just bought $42 worth of fresh yeast packages (about 7 packages). Those will last me until fall.

I'll make a starter, then use one package of yeast. When that beer is finished, I'll "wash" (rinse) the yeast a bit and pour into boiled and cooled mason jars. I'll use several pint jars for each yeast cake. Then, label them with a sharpie and put them in my beer fridge.

I use mrmalty.com's yeast slurry pitching calculator, and use about 1/2 pint jar for a 10 gallon batch.

Then do the same with each yeast strain.

I get about 10 5 gallon batches out of one package of yeast! I could even go longer, but I just use three or four pint jars and don't usually re-save unless it's a rare strain (like a seasonal).

Pitching onto an entire yeast cake would almost certainly be overpitching, though. Here's some food for thought: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

I have pitched onto an entire cake, when I first made a "small beer" to have enough yeast for a super high OG beer. That works really well with some lagers- to go from a 3 gallon batch of 1.043 lager to a 5 gallon batch of 1.085 dopplebock for example.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
ShartAttack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So if I save some of this slurry, could I just chuck it in the fridge for a while? I'm thinking maybe I could save the 3724 for the next time I do a Belgian Saison, but I don't know when that would be. I know from my experience in lab that yeast & bacteria can be left in the fridge pretty much forever but my purposes for saving microorganisms in lab are quite different from brewing.

So I guess the ear question is, would that slurry still be good after a few months in the fridge or do I need to get fancier with storage technique?

Quick Reply