New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "pitching on the cake" questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Default "pitching on the cake" questions

I have a Cooper's kit in primary, it's a nut brown ale. The yeast that came with it was an unlabeled "ale yeast" packet. It fermented pretty well for 4 or 5 days after it started, not explosive, but I did set up a blow off tube. I want to move it to secondary today. My next brew is a Fat Tire clone, and I have liquid California yeast for it.

Instead if using my $5 liquid yeast, can I put my new brew into my old yeast? What about the trub?

Thanks!
Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You might want to search on yeast washing. A Fat Tire clone isn't all that dependent on yeast and Cooper's kit use a very neutral fermenting yeast. If the hops are compatible, though, I'd say go ahead & pitch right on the cake. Get the wort temperaure down to 65F if possible to reduce the chance of a major blowoff.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

The coopers extract was already hopped- I have no idea what kind. It's very mild, not at all hoppy. Here's the description:
"Traditional two-row malted barley, choice hops and soft water combine in this Old English style dark ale to produce a nutty Northern character; soft, rich, full-bodied with a medium-sweet, malt-driven palate. Color (°SRM) -23.0 IBU - 31.0"

The fat tire clone uses Willamette (1/4 ounce aroma), Herbrucker (1/2 ounce flavor), and Northern Brewer (3/4 oz bittering).

Would you suggest doing a quick yeast washing, instead of pitching on the cake? I haven't made a starter just in case I can reuse the yeast as is. I could save my $5 liquid yeast for a later batch.

I appreciate the help!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just go ahead and dump your cooled wort on to it.

Cheers!
Justin

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
gauthierk
Recipes 

I have used the yeast cake and dumped the cooled wart on to of it... Make sure you keep your temp lower though cause you will get some wild fermentation.....

Old 07-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not a big fan of pitching on the cake. for one you have a carboy now nasty with crusty krausen and such. i would rather see you collect the yeast, and then pitch that yeast in a clean environ.

Quick Reply