Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitched yeast when wort was too warm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
jmwst1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitched yeast when wort was too warm

I made Holiday Ale 3 weeks ago from an extract kit from Midwest. When I finished, I put the pot in my sink as usual to cool down. Apparently, I didn't have enough ice or didn't wait long enough for it to cool down, because I wasn't getting a reading on my thermometer when I moved it to the fermentation bucket.

I had to leave my house in a few minutes, and the beer didn't feel especially warm, so I figured it was just a few degrees. I pitched the yeast, and left it to ferment. After a week, the gravity was 1.026 and after 3 weeks, it is 1.024. The FG is supposed to be between 1.012 and 1.018.

It looks like the yeast was ruined by pitching when the wort was too warm. Question is, can I just purchase new yeast of the same type and throw it in the secondary to complete the fermentation?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Sheep_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What was your OG?

Primary: #3 Mack's Mead
Secondary: Waiting.....
Bottled: #1 Rustic Brown Ale
Bottled: #2 High Country Apfelwein

Old 11-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
jmwst1
Recipes 

My OG was 1.057

Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I nuked the hell out of a yeast on a Nut Brown Ale. I didn't pitch another yeast or anything, and I bottled it. 3 weeks later I cracked it open, and within a week my friends and I put away the 2 cases.

With an Ale you shouldn't have too many issues, just an off molassasy flavor.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Sheep_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well it appears the yeast did it's job, just not very efficient. Wait it out till your gravity doesn't change, it may take a few more weeks for that to happen.

What's the ambient temp where your carboy is located?

Primary: #3 Mack's Mead
Secondary: Waiting.....
Bottled: #1 Rustic Brown Ale
Bottled: #2 High Country Apfelwein

Old 11-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How can you say the yeast was "ruined?

It fermented down to 1.024...that's not "ruined" to me...If it were ruined it would be sitting at your OG...

You might be stuck..But the yeast definitely wasn't ruined...you didn't drop it into boiling wort...

You have to look at another reason.

Like has there been a temp drop where you store your fermenter?

You may need to give the fermenter a swirl, warm it up a bit, or pitch some more yeast.

But you definitely didn't ruin your yeast if you got a 30 point drop in fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
jmwst1
Recipes 

The ambient temp is between 66-68 F.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
jmwst1
Recipes 

Revvy,

I'm pretty new to this, so my assumption was that some of the yeast wasn't doing it's job, and that it must have been because I put it into something that was too warm. I assumed incorrectly obviously, so that part is good news.

As far as temp drop, it has, but only 2 degrees. I did move it to a secondary after a week, hoping that would help. It did drop it .002.

From what petep1980 said, do I need to pitch new yeast, or is it ok to bottle at this point?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwst1 View Post

As far as temp drop, it has, but only 2 degrees. I did move it to a secondary after a week, hoping that would help. It did drop it .002.

From what petep1980 said, do I need to pitch new yeast, or is it ok to bottle at this point?

Try giving the fermentor a gentle swirl to re-rouse the yeast...and move it to a slightly warmer place or throw a blanket on it to re awaken the yeast...you don't want to bottle until it's 1.020 or below...

I wouldn't re-pitch until you tried what I mentioned and checked back in a week, since you are only trying to drop it 4 or more points...If swirling, warming doesn't kick start it in a week, then I would add a packet of yeast to it...but not until I tried the "natural" means first...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
jmwst1
Recipes 

I'll will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply