The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pitched the yeast when it was way too hot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

For lager yeasts, you really can pitch up to 75-80, but you don't want to keep it there for too long, or you will wind up with a fruity lager. I have found that it really is best to pitch lager yeasts at or very near the fermentation temperature. Some folks pitch a little below that, letting the temperature rise up to fermentation temperature, and claim very good results. Yooper is one I can think of that has talked about that practice. I haven't tried it, but I probably will with my next lager.

On the water or the vodka or the cleaning solution, it shouldn't be a problem, although I don't know what you clean with, krc. Water will work fine in your airlock, though. If it doesn't, someone will have to tell me how I've been getting all this beer all these years.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What do you use? Star-san is supposedly more-or-less yeast nutrient when diluted, so that's fine. Water, even really nasty water, works fine as an airlock fluid, but can be bad (particularly if really nasty) if it gets sucked back into the wort. Idophor, diluted for use, dispersed over 5 gallons is not likely to be a problem, barring some sort of iodine sensitivity. Bleach-water could cause some off-tastes.

So-cheap-you're-embarrassed-to-buy-it vodka has some active ability to kill stuff that gets into it, and causes no harm if sucked back, which is why I use it, but it's not the only thing that works.

On the subject of nasty water as an airlock, Louis Pasteur's book on beer has some powerful reading....

Internet Archive: Details: Studies on fermentation : the diseases of beer, their causes, and the means of preventing them

See page 340 for the fermenter and 342 for the "putrid water" comment.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
IrishIwereDrunk
Recipes 

Ok, the bubbles I saw earlier today, were literally just two bubbles and I haven't seen anymore since.. I'm fairly certain it was too hot when I pitched the yeast originally, I think from what I've read that I probably killed it.

Can I salvage this batch by pitching some more yeast in? What kind of an affect would that give me at this point?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #14
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Give it another day and see if it takes off (yeast are hardy little buggers). If not, you can re-pitch now that you are down to a good temperature. I'd recommend using the same type of yeast and you should be fine.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did almost the exact same thing on my first batch. My fermentation seemed like it was done after 24 hours. It wasn't, of course, but it seemed like it. After 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottle, my ale tastes fine (enjoying one right now as a matter of fact). No doubt that there is some "hotness" present, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #16
shertz
Recipes 

Chances are you'll be OK. Get that temp down and just let it go for 3 weeks(secondaries are overrated in my book). The most important lesson from this is that you learn that fermentation temps are very important and will have big effects on your final product. That being said, it's your first and you'll love it. Also, do a starter next time if you didn't. It will help the yeast get going.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #17
IrishIwereDrunk
Recipes 

Well I still haven't seen anymore activity.. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning and then pick up some more yeast I guess. This is the kind that came with my kit, I just opened the packet and poured it in and then stirred it, while steam was still rising up, lol.

the above picture isn't showing up and I'm not sure why, but its called Munton's Ale Yeast Y001

Old 10-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIwereDrunk View Post
Well I still haven't seen anymore activity.. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning and then pick up some more yeast I guess. This is the kind that came with my kit, I just opened the packet and poured it in and then stirred it, while steam was still rising up, lol.

the above picture isn't showing up and I'm not sure why, but its called Munton's Ale Yeast Y001
You have to be a paying member to directly post photos, or use a website like photobucket.
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
floridarunner68
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc333 View Post
I noticed Irish said he spilled some of the water from his airlock into the wort. I did the same thing and I always put a little bit of the cleaning solution in my airlock (will start using cheap vodka) , because I was told water won’t work. Anyway, will that little bit of solution kill my beer and or make anyone that drinks it sick?
I always use Vodka in the airlock. Before I siphon, I'll do a mouthful of vodka, swish it around, and then let it dribble out over my lips.

On Tap: Belgium Tripel
On Tap: Pumpkin Ale - out
On Tap: Clover Honey Irish Red Ale - out
On Tap: Blanchard de Ballard (Belgian Witbier) - out

Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #20
McDegga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IrishIwereDrunk, any luck? It is pretty hard to kill the yeast, but higher temps can do it. Did you re-pitch? Did your original yeast 'come to life'?
Inquiring minds want to know!
-E

Primary: Pipeline
Primary 2: Pipeline
Secondary: Empty as a pocket
Secondary 2: Empty as a pocket
Kegged 1: Todd (I saw the Lite)
Planned: Yet another Ed Wort's amazing Apfelwein
Kegged 2 Yummy Kolsch

Quick Reply