Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitched yeast on top of krausen... did I kill this batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
captainjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitched yeast on top of krausen... did I kill this batch?

I showed my neighbour how to make a LME kit beer on the weekend. It was our first nice weather and I could brew outside, bringing the full 6 gallons to a boil. It was also the first test of my immersion chiller, which performed impressively (much better than the snowbank I used in January!).

Usually I rehydrate dried yeast from a kit, but this time just to show my neighbour how easy it could be, I dumped the dry yeast right into the beer. I've done this before with no problem.

72 hrs later and I haven't heard any bubbling out of the airlock, which is unusual. I figure the yeast from the kit was a dud, so I grabbed another packet of dry yeast I felt pretty sure was good, and opened it up.

When I opened the bucket, I could see the krausen on top of the beer. Uh oh, what do I do now?

I tossed the second packet of yeast in on top.

So... did I just screw up this batch? Or will this yeast just die out because there's not enough sugar/oxygen left after the first batch?

Gah!
Jay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It will be fine. If you used two kinds of yeast it may change the flavor a little but no need to worry.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

first, a lesson I have learned well (from here, and from experiece) is use your hydrometer first to determine if you have active fermentation or not. don't just rely on your airlock.

As far as the yeast, I can't imagine that you would ruin the batch by adding more yeast. Maybe turn a slow ferment into a faster one? I'm not sure what the yeast will to towards the flavor, but I don' think it will hurt.

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

All you did was waste a perfectly good package of yeast, and showed your neighbor how not to RDWHAHB

You didn't hurt anything.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
captainjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reassurances, gents! Much appreciated!

This batch is slated to be my first attempt at kegging, too... there's so much to learn yet!

Thnx!
Jay

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 593 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Harvest that yeast cake when the beer is finished and you'll have enough to start up 20 more batches.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
captainjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Harvest that yeast cake when the beer is finished and you'll have enough to start up 20 more batches.
If I just re-pitched on top of the yeast cake do you think I would be over-pitching? I've only ever read about this happening, and have no idea how to calculate what would constitute "over-pitching."

Thanks,
Jay

Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have put my next batch on top of the yeast cake, not sure if it constitutes over pitching or not I didn't notice any ill effects. However, you'll want to use a blow off tub. I nearly blew the airlock out of my 6.5 gallon fermenter and was fermenting a 5 gallon batch.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 593 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
If I just re-pitched on top of the yeast cake do you think I would be over-pitching? I've only ever read about this happening, and have no idea how to calculate what would constitute "over-pitching."

Thanks,
Jay
No. You're fine. I'm not sure what would constitute problematic over-pitching. Maybe where too much yeast was used in a style that requires some slow controlled fermentation like a strong Belgian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I have put my next batch on top of the yeast cake, not sure if it constitutes over pitching or not I didn't notice any ill effects. However, you'll want to use a blow off tub. I nearly blew the airlock out of my 6.5 gallon fermenter and was fermenting a 5 gallon batch.
That's a very common occurence when pithing on a live volcano of yeast.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply