Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitched Yeast Too Hot, Potential Contamination

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
andForMore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitched Yeast Too Hot, Potential Contamination

I'm really worried about my second batch of beer. The brewing took longer than expected. While I tried to cool the wort as fast as possible before pitching the yeast, I was late for something and ended up pitching it too hot (I think).

Fermentation took off quickly, and it started overflowing out the airlock. I googled a solution, and ended up attaching a hose to the thing inside the airlock. Soon after, this got clogged, and the overflow was getting through the tube but only after a really high pressure pushed it. I figured if I went to bed and left it that way it would blow the airlock off and make a huge mess in my room. So I took off the airlock and began scooping all the overflow into a bucket. After trying to figure out what to do for a while it was about 2AM and I had no tube big enough to make a proper blow off tube without the airlock. I ended up covering the top with foil and carrying it outback to finish its overflow out there while I got some sleep.

The next morning i went outside to check on it and the foil was on the ground and the carboy was still gushing stuff out of it. i put new foil on it, and when it finally stopped, i washed the airlock good and put it back. After that the krausen became very small, and two days after it began, the fermantation had almost slowed to a stop. Now, its 5 days later and the airlock is bubbling about once every 5 minutes and there is almost zero stuff floating on the top.

I dont know what to do. Is the beer ruined/contaminated from sitting outside with no lid? It was gushing the whole time so I hoped this prevented anything getting in there, but how do I know? Also, it seems like the fermentation got too slow too fast. Should I add more yeast? Should I cut my losses and try again? Or should I let it sit another 10 days and then try to bottle it? Thanks in advance for help and sorry about the long post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Ur probably good pitching hot is not good but I've done it. Their was co2 blowing out when it.was uncovered to keep out the nasties if it was me I would take a gravity reading and see where ur at on sg and taste if it taste good push on with pride Chopps

Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
Ur probably good pitching hot is not good but I've done it. Their was co2 blowing out when it.was uncovered to keep out the nasties if it was me I would take a gravity reading and see where ur at on sg and taste if it taste good push on with pride Chopps
+1. With that much blowoff, I would thing you would be ok. I make starters all the time with nothing but foil and have never had a contamination issue. It MAY have let some air in but again I doubt it and even if it did it is no big deal. Take a gravity reading and sample it. That will answer all your questions.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
bige9920
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bet your ok. If its bubbling you have fermentation happening. I agree with the other 2 before me. Check your gravity, Taste the brew and hope for the best. You may be ok.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Andrew5329
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Two things: the first is that pitching while it's too hot didnt hurt your beer, the reason I say this is because pitching too hot can kill the yeast you pitch causing delayed or prolonged fermentation. That your brew took off on schedule is a good thing.

There is no known pathogen that can survive in fermented beer beer, as far as contamination is concerned, the way it was explained to me is that your goal in sanitation is to kill as many of the bacteria as possible (you cant do sterility at home) and this isnt an issue because given a head-start the yeast will multiply fast enough to out-compete the bacteria. That your brew bubbled so vigorously it pushed off the top means that your yeast are thriving and even if a few bacteria got in the yeast would still eat all the sugar before they became an issue.

Quickest way to tell if bacteria are an issue is that you'll have a really strange smell coming from your beer and it'll probably be discolored.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
andForMore
Recipes 

Wow, Thanks a bunch for the fast responses. Its even more awesome they seemed to be positive ones. Unfortunately, in the mess of brew day, I forgot to take an original gravity reading. So, I don't know if that makes taking one now useless or not.

Anyways, the current gravity is 1.030. I'm not sure what that tells us, but I'll read up on it. I tasted the beer used for the reading and it seems all is well. It has a strong bitter taste (I think i put too strong of bittering hops) and boiled them for a full hour. It definitely tastes and smells like alcohol. The malt flavor is more subtle than I was shooting for but overall it seems good. Very strong, I think. I guess I let it go ten more days and then bottle?

Thanks for all the (really fast) help, I'm stoked there probably isn't an issue!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Let it sit for a week and finish fermenting. Then take 2 readings a day apart and if it's exactly the same it's done. Then le it sit more to clean up. Maybe another week. Then it will be great! Good job!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you will get a beer out of that carboy but if you had a hot fermentation you may have some hot fusel alcohol flavors. you didn't say what the temp of the fermenting beer was so maybe you just had a vigorous fermentation.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
andForMore
Recipes 

I don't know the temperature when I pitched the yeast exactly, but it was warm to the touch. Warmer than my hand but not much. I guess that would make it around 98-100 degrees?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by andForMore View Post
I don't know the temperature when I pitched the yeast exactly, but it was warm to the touch. Warmer than my hand but not much. I guess that would make it around 98-100 degrees?
that's pretty hot. oh well, nothing can be done about it at this point but next time you are better off putting an airlock on and putting the fermentor in a water bath, then pitching later into cool wort. those hot flavors have not gone away in my experience but you might get lucky.

Quick Reply