Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitched yeast too cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The ideal scenario is supposedly pitching the rehydrated yeast when it and the wort are within 10*f of each other.

Probably isn't going to make a really dramatic difference in the quality of the beer that results and is definitely better than pitching into 5 gallons of wort that's too hot. Just another thing to save in the memory/experience bank to help things go even better the next time, and whenever in future, you brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
The ideal scenario is supposedly pitching the rehydrated yeast when it and the wort are within 10*f of each other.

Probably isn't going to make a really dramatic difference in the quality of the beer that results and is definitely better than pitching into 5 gallons of wort that's too hot. Just another thing to save in the memory/experience bank to help things go even better the next time, and whenever in future, you brew.
Yeah I had a little too much homebrew with a friend while I was cooling the wort, wan't paying attention and the wort cooled from 212 to 60 in about 20 min using an ice bath.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Read my above post, we posted at the same time. So shocking the yeast wont kill them right?
I think going from hot to cold wort is better than the other way around but I don't know. It won't kill all of them but the last beer I did a similar thing too had some acetadhyde issues but it was a repitch so something else might have gone wrong too. ...since then I realized that over chilling can be easily corrected by running hot water through the immersion chiller I once over cooled it down to 50F, but it took less than 5minutes of hot tap water through the chiller to return it to 64F

Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So my LHBS said to rock and stir the fermenter one more time in case the yeast went dormant due to the cold temperatures and possible shock from re-hydrating. I stirred and rocked the fermenter until I saw foam at the top of the wort. Hopefully this will kick start things. I'll go buy another packet of yeast just in case I don't see anything by tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Finally

My LHBS recommended I added another packet of yeast to prevent possible contamination. They said stale fermentation for 15 hours is too long and I should pitch another packet dry and stir. So needless to say that's what I did and finally fermentation took off after a few hours. The temp rose from 62 to about 70 once the yeast went to work.

Thanks everybody for your input. I think I shocked the yeast when I pitched. The wort was 60 degrees and the yeast was at about 85. I'll have to be more careful next time.

My wife also told me that when she was using the stove she saw the packet of yeast on the stove top and it got really hot, she then moved it to the counter top about 15 min before I started to re-hydrate it. Maybe the yeast died and I pitched dead yeast. This is when I called my LHBS and took their advice about re-pitching new yeast. After a couple hours this is what I got.....

http://youtu.be/A0n18orF3m0

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Niv
Recipes 

I'd much rather pitch it on the warm side. That's me. 50-60 is way too cold to pitch imo. I'd rather pitch it when the wort is at 80 and let it come down naturally. That's just me. It's been my best results. It's best for most yeast in getting started and I fee that it doesn't make a huge difference in taste. The only difference in taste has been for the better.

Start it off hotter then go colder if need be.

I see lots of people here don't agree but that's my opinion.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Good to know. I think I may have shocked the yeast too. I rehydrated in 85-90 degree water for 15 min, stirred and pitched on 60 degree wort lol. Poor yeasties....
The instructions I use to rehydrate yeast tell me to use 105F water, so you've done nothing but good here. I usually cool my ale wort to the high 50's before pitching, but I also ferment them cool and slow around 60-62F internal temp.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niv View Post
I'd much rather pitch it on the warm side. That's me. 50-60 is way too cold to pitch imo. I'd rather pitch it when the wort is at 80 and let it come down naturally. That's just me. It's been my best results. It's best for most yeast in getting started and I fee that it doesn't make a huge difference in taste. The only difference in taste has been for the better.

I normally do as well. I normally cool the wort to 75-80 degrees and top off to five gallons with cold drinking water. This normally brings the temp down to around 70, perfect for pitching yeast. Just have to remember to cool the rehydrated yeast to within 10 degrees of wort. All is good now since I pitched more yeast. I'm watching it like a hawk today with a blow off tube at the ready

Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2115 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niv View Post

80F is way to warm for pitching yeast. If it's warm in the house,it'll take longer to cool down & start making off flavors,howecer slight they might be. If it cools down too fast,the yeast can shock 7 go dormant.
As with the others,yeast rehydrate temps are 90-105F. But pitching that into 58F wort will shock it & it goes dormant till temps rise again. Get the temp within the yeasts' range & gently swirl it to get some yeast back into suspension. It should start going again. But don't shake or swirl violently,you don't want any foam from more aeration at this point. Air at this point can make off flavors.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
80F is way to warm for pitching yeast. If it's warm in the house,it'll take longer to cool down & start making off flavors,howecer slight they might be. If it cools down too fast,the yeast can shock 7 go dormant.
As with the others,yeast rehydrate temps are 90-105F. But pitching that into 58F wort will shock it & it goes dormant till temps rise again. Get the temp within the yeasts' range & gently swirl it to get some yeast back into suspension. It should start going again. But don't shake or swirl violently,you don't want any foam from more aeration at this point. Air at this point can make off flavors.
If fermentation hasn't started yet then oxygen is a good thing, isn't it?

Quick Reply