The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitched my yeast too cold I think...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
jota
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitched my yeast too cold I think...

Hey guys,

I joined the club and put together some of Edwort's Apfelwein. Unfortunately I took my yeast out only like 30 minutes before i added it to the mixture. I noticed it clumping at night so i shook it slightly to get the yeast moving around. This morning the same thing happened. It was as though all the yeast was stuck together in a pasty quarter size space at the top of the applejuice mixture near the glass side. I shook it again this morning slightly to get it moving around. should this be happening, why is it happening, and should i do anything?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd suggest (for future reference) rehydrating the yeast before pitching and aerating immediately after pitching to distribute the yeast in the must. A little yeast nutrient is also helpful.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a better response, you might want to include what temperature you pitch the yeast, and what the temperature is currently. Generally, pitching too cold isn't much of a problem, just gets off to a slow start, but should be fine once its in the recommended temperature range for the yeast you are using.

Rehydrating the yeast is good practice for anyone who uses dry yeast, as long as you use sanitary practices. You should check the temperature of your batch and make sure its warm enough at this point. Otherwise, RDWHAHB.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Going off the original comment. I just made my 3rd batch today. For the last 2 I have followed the directions that came with the kit and added the dry Muntons yeast to the wort, everything has come out fine. Today I rehydrated (boiled the water and let it cool, then let the yeast sit for 15 min, stirred and added to the wort), it looked like milk when I added it. I shook the carboy alittle right after and then again about 1/2 hour later. Will this be enough to distribute the yeast? And was this the correct process?

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlehembrewer
Going off the original comment. I just made my 3rd batch today. For the last 2 I have followed the directions that came with the kit and added the dry Muntons yeast to the wort, everything has come out fine. Today I rehydrated (boiled the water and let it cool, then let the yeast sit for 15 min, stirred and added to the wort), it looked like milk when I added it. I shook the carboy alittle right after and then again about 1/2 hour later. Will this be enough to distribute the yeast? And was this the correct process?
Yes, that's fine, as long as the wort was under 80 degrees. 70 is better, but under 80 is ok.

As far as the original question- apfelwein doesn't usually get a krausen like beer does. It was probably a little shocked by the temperature change, and is getting into reproduction mode. Give it at least another day, and by then the party should be started in your fermenter.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

It was at 59 when I pitched. I cooled to wort in the bath tub and it took alot less time then I thought. It was 80 before putting it into the carboy full of cool water.

Thanks!

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Get it warmed up and it should come to life.

Quick Reply