Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitch New Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
goosehunter75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pitch New Yeast?

This past Saturday I brewed a Midnight Marzen recipe using the Wyeast German Ale 1007. I just checked and still do not have any visible activity (it has been 50 hours). I am using a blow off tube, because I read that 1007 is a very vigorous, active yeast strain. The smack pack never swelled the way I thought it should (this was the first time I had used one). I tried activing it about 4 hours before pitching. When the yeast package was opened, one of the nutirent packages was still intact. It looked like another had burst, but perhaps this was just extra material and not a 2nd nutrient package. Could liquid yeast be this slow to start if the nutrient package was not broken correctly? My only other worry was when everything was shipped it was extremely hot outside. I was not home to pick up the package, but my wife said when she got it the ice pack had melted and everything was warm. The package did have to spend the night in the post office. I have a package of Safale 05 and was wondering if I should go ahead and pitch new yeast or hold off another day? Currently, the thermometer on the fermentor is reading 66 degrees. Normally, during active fermentation I am around 72. Heres a link to the recipe if that helps. http://brewersconnection.com/recipes...ghtMarzale.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm assuming some of the yeast cells died in the heat but there's almost always some still alive. If you're going to use liquid yeast you should always make a starter. It's the only way of determining if your yeast is viable (it usually is )

You'll be fine to leave it alone but the extra work they have to do to reproduce to appropriate concentrations might add some off-flavors into a style that you want to be quite clean. Go ahead and pitch the S-05 if it really concerns you or just leave it alone. If it hasn't started by hour 72 then report back. And remember: airlock bubbling is not a proper indication of fermentation. At the 72 hour mark if there isn't visible krausen (foam on top) then take a hydrometer reading. If the gravity is lower than your Original Gravity then you have active fermentation! Relax and have a beer!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was under the impression that wyeast packs only had the one nutrient packet in them? At least that's been the case the four times I've used them.

Weird that the recipe doesn't specify the OG.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
goosehunter75
Recipes 

Thanks! This is the first time I have used liquid yeast (only my fourth brew). I have read about making starters but thought (wrongly) with the smack pack I would be ok.

I'm not sure it had two nutrient packs in it. There was another "package" connected to the nutrient pack. It is very possible it was just extra material. I thought the same about the OG. I did take a reading and it was 1.052

I've been trying to be patient but I'm about to run out of beer!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

HA fair enough concern!

Again, you'll likely be fine either way. You have two choices:

1) Pitch the new yeast, breathe a sigh of relief, then relax and have a beer.

2) Get some practice in the unbelievable amount of patience you'll learn to have when it comes to beer. I constantly checked my first batch of beer... I even sent a video to my girlfriend when the airlock started going crazy. But after a few years of learning patience and trusting the yeast I enjoy the hobby even more now.

Just a couple things to consider. Good luck and brew on!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
phatspade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wyeast packs have one nutrient pouch, but it's divided into 2 parts. I ran into this problem with 2 packs I bought. 3 hrs is a minimum needed to ensure viability, but it can take more time to swell. The first time it happened I tossed the package and the second time I let it have the time to swell, which took almost 2 days. If it were up to me I'd just repitch with S-05. I have no patience to give any bit of yeast another week to build up.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
SMc0724
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 to S-05. I've not had good luck with smacking those packs.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
RBelanger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

give it another 24 hours...before adding the 05.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may have a bad seal around the rim if it's a bucket. Like others have said, you can check the gravity and see if it is dropping. If it's fermenting, you'll have foamy bubbles on the surface. I would check both, and if you confirm you have no activity, I would pitch the US-05.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
goosehunter75
Recipes 

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to go ahead and pitch the Safale 05. Took a gravity reading and it had not changed. No signs of fermentation in the bucket as well.

img_1147.jpg   img_1148.jpg  

Quick Reply