Pitch calculator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wonder if I could get a little advice. I am going to be brewing Midwest's Happy Holiday Brew and it lists the OG around 1.065.

I was going to use Nottingham dry yeast and using Mr. Malty's Pitching calculator, it suggests based on the gravity that I should us 1.1 11.5 gram packets of yeast.

I have one packet of Nottingham, but should I pick up another? It seems really close, but I also do not want to overpitch with 2 packets or underpitch with 1 packet. Should I split the second packet?. . or would 1 packet with yeast nutrient added be ok? (my original plan)

Thanks for all your help!

Not trying to hijack the thread but,.....

I have a question in addition to his....I have checked out the calculator for my bock upcoming....It is saying I need 3 packs of liquid yeast and to make a 4L starter....is this correct? I'm hoping I can just do a 4L starter with 1 pack.

i'd just pitch the one packet, i'm sure it'll be fine. if you're really unsure though and have a LHBS nearby, go pick up another and pitch a bit of it too.

daveooph, just make it with one pack. i think it means either a 4L starter, or 3 packs.

yeah, i recently needed 1.6 packs of Nottingham and I made a good starter and only used 1 pack and my beer is good and at 9.4%. just make a good starter and RDWHAHB

yeah, i recently needed 1.6 packs of Nottingham and I made a good starter and only used 1 pack and my beer is good and at 9.4%. just make a good starter and RDWHAHB

A starter for dry yeast is kind of superfluous. Just rehydrate and pitch.

Back