The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pitch both yeast packs? Old and new?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
jsom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitch both yeast packs? Old and new?

I am brewing an IPA tomorrow, still a newbie, I bought a fresh wyeast 1056 dated a couple weeks ago, but I also have a 1056 dated May, the problem with the old may pack is it is inflated, been that way since I got it in the mail, but the nutrient pak is still entact/not popped.

Beer target OG is 1.076, its also a 3 gal batch size, I don't want to make a starter so...

Question: do I pitch
1) only new yeast pak
2) both old and new - no harm in trying???

image-4128141410.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Well, even with a 3 gallon batch size, at 1.076 a single smack pack is a pretty significant underpitch - even if it was packaged today, let alone a couple weeks ago. So it can't hurt to pitch both. You won't get a lot of viable cells out of the pack dated from May, but it'll help a little bit.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to make a starter? It's really not a complicated process.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Www.yeastcalc.com

Go to this site and plug in your numbers including the dates on the packs and you'll see viability and necessary pitch rate based on your gravity and batch size. Off the top of my head you should be fine with both packs and no need to starter.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Www.yeastcalc.com

Go to this site and plug in your numbers including the dates on the packs and you'll see viability and necessary pitch rate based on your gravity and batch size. Off the top of my head you should be fine with both packs and no need to starter.
Sadly, that's quite really true. The pack dated from May would be about 10% viable right now. 3 gallons at 1.076 would need about 160 billion cells - his two smack packs would give him around 105. It'd get him there, sure, but it'd risk some off flavors.

Pitching those same two packs into a 1.3L starter for a day, then cold crashing it overnight, decanting off the liquid, and pitching the slurry, would give the ideal 160 billion cells though.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

Sadly, that's quite really true. The pack dated from May would be about 10% viable right now. 3 gallons at 1.076 would need about 160 billion cells - his two smack packs would give him around 105. It'd get him there, sure, but it'd risk some off flavors.

Pitching those same two packs into a 1.3L starter for a day, then cold crashing it overnight, decanting off the liquid, and pitching the slurry, would give the ideal 160 billion cells though.
Yeah, I'm Mobil and couldn't plug numbers so if hats what it came out to be a starter would be recommended, I just went off the top of my head with a 3 g batch

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You should make a starter. It's not difficult and your beer will benefit. But if you still don't want to, pitch both packs. The yeast in the old one is liable to be fairly stressed and could give you some off-flavors if you don't offset it by pitching a good colony of healthy cells along with it to get fermentation going as quickly as possible.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

throw the old pack into the boil to feed the new pack.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
jsom
Recipes 

Thanks all.

I haven't had good results with starters for some reason, I have tried two batches with a starter and wasn't happy with the fermentation - tasted sugary I thought, but I am going to get a stir plate and try starters again, but not this batch.

So for tomorrow, I bought a second fresh 1056 today to add both fresh packs so I can get a high enough cell count and give myself the best chance at a quality brew, I will try starters again after this with a bit more planning.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, if it's Saturday you're brewing, then toss in all three packs. The old one will provide nutrients for the other two and you'll at least not waste any money.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
jsom
Recipes 

Okay, I'm brewing - all 3 packs will go in, I'm hoping this is my best yet. I think I've been under pitching all along

Quick Reply