Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pilsen vs. extra light extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
mr_bell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pilsen vs. extra light extract

I thought Pilsen (extract) and extra light were interchangeable. Some recent reading has led me to believe otherwise, but I'm not entirely clear on it. Is there a difference? Are these interchangeable?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

As long as you're adjusting your beers with steeping grains, you should be fine. There's a little more CaraPils in the Briess Pilsen Light vs the Golden Light but I haven't had any issues using it in place of the generic Extra Light thus far. Brew On!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pilsen is a Pilsner style extract that's better suited for German style beers or where Pilsner malt would be used. The Golden appears to be suited for domestic style brews. The two malts should have a different flavor profile but would think they're interchangeable enough to put you in the ballpark.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

FWIW, I can't tell a difference between a beer that I've brewed with Pilsen Light and Golden Light. I adjust my steeping grains/extract to get my SRM and other variables where they need to be and it seems to work for me.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Breiss Pilsen Extract is extra light (lovibond of 2). Breiss Golden is Pale extract.

Quick Reply