Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pils Extract Extras- Suggestions Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Shuldawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pils Extract Extras- Suggestions Please!

First let me begin by saying- I'm a newbie, but I 'm hooked.

I recently finished my very first brew, which was an all extract wheat beer and I (and Friends) were very happy with the results. I just picked up my second extract today from my local HBS. I selected a pils along with a a WYeast Cal Lager Smackpack.

I'm not quite ready for 50/50 grain & extract brewing yet, but would like to find a way to customize my brew. So I purchased a jar of clover honey and was planning to add it to the extract during boiling. I was also thinking of getting a lemon, cutting it up and placing it in a muslin bag during boilwing as well. I'm thinking/hoping this would make a nice spring brew.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this a bad idea to begin with or will all be well?
  2. Any other things I could add to extract in hopes of a nice spring pils?

Thanks for your time and look forward to any feedback!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1) Very bad idea. Pils does not need or want those flavors.
2) If this is your first lager you need to make sure your yeast pitch and you temps are right. If you are happy with the results then you can tweak it to your liking.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
redking11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Agreed, a pilsner is not supposed to have these flavors and I dont think they would go well.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

It actually sounds pretty good to me. If you're a style Nazi, it obviously won't work. Im not sure what doesn't sound delicious about a honey lemon pilsner?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Don't get too carried away with experimentation when you are still learning to brew. The keys to making this a good beer will be your sanitation and fermentation. One smack pack won't be enough without making a starter. If your kit has DME, you could simple use some of it to make a starter and pitch it into your wort. If you can, pitch in the upper 50's and let it slowly warm up to 60-65 for primary fermentation.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02
Don't get too carried away with experimentation when you are still learning to brew. The keys to making this a good beer will be your sanitation and fermentation. One smack pack won't be enough without making a starter. If your kit has DME, you could simple use some of it to make a starter and pitch it into your wort. If you can, pitch in the upper 50's and let it slowly warm up to 60-65 for primary fermentation.
^^This
I totally agree, but, if you want to learn things, go for it! I did, but that being said, while the beer was good and everyone liked it, we always wondered why it didn't taste as good as we thought it would and always wondered why?

After a year and over 100 gallons of learning I went back to basics, concentrated on the process and detail of all aspects of brewing and the beer I'm making today completely outshines anything prior

Proper measuring, timing, calibrating, pitching rates, temperatures, fermentation, carbonation, conditioning are the keys to GREAT beer, take your time and be patient, you'll make awesome beer!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, everything they said is right. If you do add the lemon though, I would just zest it. Boiling a whole lemon for an hour is not a great idea.

Quick Reply