Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Picture of Film on Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
treehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Picture of Film on Beer

I have been struggling with really low temps while fermenting with start and stop fermentations. Below is a picture of a film that has formed on the top of the wort in the secondary. I transferred a little early from my primary to my secondary (4 days). The beer has been in the secondary for 12 days now and I took a reading 7days ago and got 1.018. Today when I took a reading I got 1.018 again and noticed this film.

I think the film is just a thin, secondary krausen and is yeast (I hope). The beer tasted OK with no sour or off flavors. No taste of residual sweetness. The picture is the best I can do and is not the best I realize. I am a little surprised that what looks to be active if slow fermentation but no drop in my gravity. But I only heat with wood and I'm fighting cold overnight temperatures (dropping to mid 50's).

Yeast is Wyeast 1968. OG was 58. Total time since pitching is
16 days.

Question: Why am I seeing what I think is fermentation but no drop in gravity? Unless that isn't yeast on top (No!....). Guess I'll wait and hope the thang ain't stuck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Not sure about the answer but that looks like a cool pic from the hubble telescope .

Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You seriously need an insulated fermentation box. It is difficult to get a good ferment when the temperature cycles daily.

At 70% attenuation you are at the high limit of what that yeast can be expected to ferment. Rack & bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Agreed

Agreed David 42. I show that type yeast as attenuating 67-71%. My calculation shows a 69% attenuation. Since no change in gravity in almost a week I'm going to bottle tomorrow.

My current "insulated fermentation box" consists of wrapping towels around the carboy. Not the best method. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply