Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > PICTURE: Did I oxidize my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
RCBIV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default PICTURE: Did I oxidize my beer?

To make a long story short, I hate my auto-siphon. It's been cruel to me in the early stages of our relationship.

Today, I bottled my first batch. Racking from my secondary to my bottling bucket was an experience. The auto-siphon, at two different times, introduced bubbles into the line. Consistent bubbles. I'm not sure why it did. To make matters worse, I couldn't just pinch the line and fix it. And I know the auto-siphon wasn't above the surface of the beer. I kept a close eye on that, and it was always below.

Here's a picture of the later stages of racking into my bottling bucket, after the issue with the bubbles ended. I'm not sure if you can tell by a picture (maybe you can), but did I introduce oxygen/oxidize my beer? Also, how can I avoid that bubble fiasco next time?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

100media_imag0406.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
moparx12
Recipes 

the beer looks fine. Relax dude. it sounds like the bubbles may have been caused by something getting stuck in the inlet of the siphon maybe. its not a big deal and it has happened to many of us i am sure. In the future just make sure you watch the inlet to the siphon and keep it free from debris and also make sure it is higher than than the bottling bucket.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 156

A lot of times there is a bubble that gets stuck in the tubing just beyond the racking cane. It just circles around. It looks bad but does not really introduce any oxygen to the beer.

At the end of every siphon I have done it bubbles. I have had no issues from this.

Don't worry I think it takes a lot more than that to cause a problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
A lot of times there is a bubble that gets stuck in the tubing just beyond the racking cane. It just circles around. It looks bad but does not really introduce any oxygen to the beer.

At the end of every siphon I have done it bubbles. I have had no issues from this.

^this, totally. when my siphon stops, whether cuz i stopped it or cuz the bucket/carboy is empty, some bubbles come through. i've never noticed any staling (oxidation) flavors in my beers.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
RCBIV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post

I watched these bubbles come from the base of the siphon, so it wasn't just where the racking cane meets the tubing. However, with what everyone's saying, it sounds like this won't be a big deal.

Thanks, everybody!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
niko
Recipes 

Happens to me all the time, no big deal.

Ale Pail 1: empty
Ale Pail 2: empty
Ale Pail 3: empty

Bottled: Dogfish 60 Clone
Keg 1: Doppelbock
Keg 2: Appfelwein
Keg 3: IPA
Keg 4: Empty (will be Arrogant Bastardness)
Keg 5: Empty (will be Lager)

http://www.inthehumidor.com

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Two sources (well 3) of bubbles in autosiphon are: 1) where the tubing connects to the racking cane - a hose clamp will fix this, 2) at the bottom of the cane part at the seal between the cane (piston) and the sleeve - this is harder to deal with - don't store the parts together, and before you start the siphon, let some beer flow past the seal on top of the piston. This will slowly be sucked back in (rather than air) 3) bubbles of CO2 coming out of solution - nothing to worry about.

Another cure for both 1 & 2 is DON'T SIPHON SO FAST. The faster one siphons, the more likely you are to pull air in somewhere. Keep the height difference small and siphon slower and you are less likely to suck any air in

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Two sources (well 3) of bubbles in autosiphon are: 1) where the tubing connects to the racking cane - a hose clamp will fix this, 2) at the bottom of the cane part at the seal between the cane (piston) and the sleeve - this is harder to deal with - don't store the parts together, and before you start the siphon, let some beer flow past the seal on top of the piston. This will slowly be sucked back in (rather than air)
This is exactly right. I stopped using the dang thing do to #2 problem.

Quick Reply