New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A Pictoral how to brew an extract kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default A Pictorial how to brew an extract kit.

Here is an in depth pictorial "How To" thread on extract brewing. This is the Holiday Merry Ale from Brew Your Own Brew. Here is the recipe.

SG 1.062-1.064
FG 1.014-1.016
ABV 6.0%
Color SRM 80.1
IBUs 34.1

6 lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract
.5 lb. Candi Sugar
.5 lb. 60L Crystal Malt (grain)
.25 lb. Black Patent (grain)
.25 lb. Chocolate (grain)
.5 lb. Carapilis Dextrine (grain)
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (bittering)
1 oz. Glacier Hops (aromatic)
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Tbs. Cardamom Seed
1 oz. Dried Bitter Orange Peel
1 Tbs. Nutmeg
Windsor Yeast

This kit calls for a 3 gallon boil.

Once I poured the water in my brew pot I put my grains into the steeping bag.

As the water was warming to 155F I placed the steeping bag into the pot. Some people wait until the water reaches steeping temps, I however don't. Whatever works best for you is fine.

I then tied my steeping bag to the handle of my pot so it's suspended above the bottom of the pot. This way the grains aren't resting directly on the heat.

This is just a cool picture of what the steeping process looks like.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not that it matters, but here is the brewing shirt I wore today. Yeah, I'm a beer nerd.

While the water was heating to steeping temps I covered the pot so the water could warm up more efficiently.

Once the temperature reached 155F it was time to let it sit for 30 minutes. Keep the grains in the pot at this point. I just thought I would clarify since you can't see them in the picture.

After 30 minutes of steeping it was time to remove the grains. For those of you who haven't noticed I moved my pot to the garage while steeping. I always begin steeping on my stove so I don't use unnecessary propane.

Ready for malt extract.

Simple bottling process

Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Once the grains were removed I added my malt extract and candi sugar. This is still at steeping temps. Some people bring it to a boil, remove from heat, add malt extract and stir well then bring it back to a boil. Whichever way works best for you is fine.

Stir well.

Cover and bring to a boil.

Once the wort begins to boil it's time to add the hops. This is one of the times a boilover can occur. You might want to keep an eye on your kettle during this part of the process. One thing I need to mention here is the fact that you can get a ring of hops around your kettle if using hop pellets. Just scrape the sides of your brew pot and put the hops back into the wort. This is so you get the proper amount of bitterness that the recipe calls for. Unfortunately I have no picture of this.

Simple bottling process

Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This recipe calls for an hour long boil with a hops addition at the beginning of the boil and at 45 minutes. Since I'm waiting around for 45 minutes now is a good time to have a home brew. Now which one should I choose?

I went with the blueberry chocolate stout I bottled last month. I hope you guys recognize the webpage I was on.

You want to make sure to have a rolling boil.

After 45 minutes it's time for my second hop addition.

Orange peel going in at 45 minutes.

Spices at 45 minutes.

Simple bottling process

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The orange peel was floating so I stirred it in.

I made sure to sanitize my bottling bucket. I use the bottling bucket to aerate my wort.

I also made sure to sanitize my fermenter as well as the lid that I'll be using for this batch.

Once I sanitized the bottling bucket I put 1 gallon of water into it. It's a 3 gallon boil with approximately 1/2 gallon lost due to evaporation during the boil. I add 1 1/2 gallons of ice and 1 gallon of water to make up the difference.

I use 2 of these containers to get 1 1/2 gallons of ice. I ALWAYS cover them while they're freezing. I don't want anything falling into my water in the freezer. I also ALWAYS use filtered water. Remember, if you have poor quality water you'll have poor quality ice.

Once the wort is added to the ice and water it takes about 10 minutes to get to pitching temps.

Simple bottling process

dcocch Likes This 
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There is a lot of debate about proper pitching temps on here. I'm not going to get into that, but I pitch if the temperature is between 80F and 60F.

Once everything is mixed and at pitching temps it's time to take your SG. I don't have a wine thief, but a turkey baster works well. Anything that touches your wort (especially after cooling) needs to be sanitized. If you don't sanitize you can and most likely WILL introduce bacteria into your wort. Live bacteria in your wort is NOT A GOOD THING! Please make sure you don't skimp on sanitizing. I keep some starsan solution in a spray bottle close by.

This batch has a SG of 1.062 which is right on par with the recipe.

Time to aerate the wort!

Simple bottling process

Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

After all of the wort gets transferred to the fermenting bucket it's time to add the yeast. On the dry yeast packet it tells you to mix with warm water and let it cool to pitching temps. You can do this if you'd like, but I always add the dry yeast directly to my cooled wort. Both ways work well.

Once the yeast is added I mix it up to make sure the yeast is mixed in with the wort as opposed to just sitting on top. Once again, the spoon is sanitized well.

I always put my airlock on after it's been sanitized and before I put the lid on the fermenting bucket so as to not push my grommet into the fermenting bucket. Make sure you fill it with water, vodka, Everclear or sanitizing solution. I always use water and have never had an issue. On a side note, my wife loves Marilyn Monroe and wanted to take this picture. You've got to keep the woman in your life happy.

Ready for controlled temperature fermentation. If you don't have a fridge/freezer to ferment in you can use the swamp cooler method with a shirt draped over your bucket. Swapping frozen water bottles in and out helps to keep temps down. Unfortunately I have no pictures of this, but it's just a shirt over your fermenting bucket sitting in a larger bucket with water and frozen bottles in the larger bucket.

Here is the Holiday Spice Ale partying with a raspberry wheat that will get bottled in a few hours. I have enough room for 4 5 gallon batches in this freezer. I also have a thermostat in the form of a probe that hangs out inside the freezer. Certain styles/yeasts call for cooler or warmer temperatures, but generally between 60F - 70F degrees is good. I keep my freezer closer to 62F - 65F. Closer to 70F and you risk off flavors with a lot of yeasts.

Simple bottling process

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Andy_LV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great pictorial!

I love the idea about ice cubes in the wort - nice alternative for wort chiller, if used with care - don't want those boxes to open up in the wort :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks and I just dump the ice directly into the wort. It makes up 1 1/2 gallons of the 5 gallon batch.

Simple bottling process

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I dump ice in as well - but usually into the brew pot, not the bottling bucket...brilliant idea! Opens up more opportunity for contamination in the bottling bucket, but so long as sanitizing practices are good, I think this is an awesome approach!

BRAVO!

Quick Reply