Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pics of my first brew(after adding yeast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Kiwi_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pics of my first brew(after adding yeast)

Hey everyone just thought i'd show some photo's of my little beer kit, i do have a question though, about 10 minutes ago from now i just finished adding yeast to the malt extract/brewing sugar/water(23ltrs) and the temp is sitting at 28C, i understand that it should be between 21-27C, so for now is the temp ok at 28C?

also the water in the air lock is slightly uneven, will that affect anything anyway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Kiwi_brewer
Recipes 

sorry the images are so large, how do i make them smaller?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah those are big but w/e....looks good man. yeah it should be fine at 28 degrees...just drop the air conditioning down a couple degrees to be safe

Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

The unevan water in the airlock is because the is pressure building in the fermenter. Once it builds enough, it will bubble. Where is the little red lid for the airlock?

T.M.H.

My slow single tier build

Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Kiwi_brewer
Recipes 

oh!, my kit didnt come with a air lock lid, it needs to be sealed off?

also in regards to keeping the temperature right, is it a good idea to wrap say an electric blanket(single) around the fermenting barrel and keep the switch to low? (theres no water on or around the barrel, i made sure of that)

Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Kiwi_brewer
Recipes 

oh DAMN! i forgot to take the SG before adding the yeast too! bugger...

Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_brewer View Post
oh DAMN! i forgot to take the SG before adding the yeast too! bugger...
You can guesstimate your OG depending on the brew style, or if you download a program like beersmith, it'll give you an estimated OG. I found the difference tonight between my predicted and actual OG was one thousandths of a point (1.044 predicted, 1.045 actual). It kind of defeats the purpose of taking an OG reading though.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

you have put your sediment reducer on the wrong end of your spigot. It's supposed to go inside the fermenter, witht he little slot facing up, so all liquid leaving teh fermenter comes from above the sediement. You will be fine without it, but it's not going to do anything where it is, other than stop anything from coming out.

You still can check the OG now, just sanitise your hydrometer, and check it in the bucket. There is nothing wrong with checking SG at any point, but if you don't check it soon, you won't know whtat your OG was.

You don't need a cover for the airlock... no one really uses them that I know of.

Next time try to get the temp down to around 23-24 and keep it there... you will probably get some fruity esters happening, but depending on the style of beer, you may not notice.

What did you brew?

Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Kiwi_brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77 View Post
you have put your sediment reducer on the wrong end of your spigot. It's supposed to go inside the fermenter, witht he little slot facing up, so all liquid leaving teh fermenter comes from above the sediement. You will be fine without it, but it's not going to do anything where it is, other than stop anything from coming out.

oh man thats embarrasing haha,

I'm currently brewing the Coopers Lager(it had come with the kit), once im familiar a bit more with brewing ill try out some different brews

Also the temp is currently 26C on the thermometer strip(green is glowing on 27C while red and blue is not glowing so much, so i take it thats correct)

Last edited by Kiwi_brewer; 06-28-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Even though it's a "Lager" kit, it wil be using an "Ale" yeast I am guessing, which means that the temps are fine as far as the yeast is concerned, but it will pick up some fruity esters that aren't really desired in a"lager"

It will taste fine, and you will enjoy it

Stay away from lagers until you get the rest of the process down pat.

Now TRUST me on this one. Brew the Green tins of Cooper's Pale Ale for a while and try adding some boiled hops for more flavour. PM me if you want more specifics. You cannot go wrong with this brew.

Quick Reply