Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pics of the first brew day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
uglytunasaloona
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on keep the beer. I start with 6 Gal. and after a good boil for an hour I usually have to add around 1/4 - 1/2 Gal to bring the volume up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
craigers
Recipes 

Default Damn it!

So I guess we know to keep the extra! A few updates to the Ale Pail, I can now see through the airlock that it is bubbling. This excites me greatly, I wish I had the 6 gallon better bottle so I could see it all happening.

My next brew has been planned and I am going with a Irish Red Ale. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
JonnyComet
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

A bit off topic but...

Did I see a Ducati Monster in the backround of one of those picutres?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
Shwagger
Recipes 

i like the beer bottle pic. when I was stationed in Korea, they shipped in pallets of Schofferhoffer Hefe and Cristal weizen for oktoberfest. i drank 2 cases of it and it was great.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Just a quick question/comment on your IPA, why the Crystal Hops? They're too mild and will get lost in all the big flavor of the big C's. Stick with the other three and you'll get a great IPA.

Your recipe has 'Leaf' as the dry hop. What type? Also, you may want to dry hop with pellets. Sure, they turn to sludge and are a pain to filter out when racking. But, they will impart more flavor and aroma to your brew than whole hops by almost two fold.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Beerkrump I appreciate your response..I was just posting the ingredients to a recipe kit that I bought however. Like I said this is our first shot at this and we wanted to get the feel of the process before dumping into recipe tweaking. I appreciate the help though I will try to remember that! And the leaf hops are cascade...

Are you saying not to add the crystal at all?? I already have the ingredients so I dont know if im going to leave anything out now...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It is just that Crystal hops are a delicate hop with a flavor that is commonly referred to as 'clean.' I think they are a variety related to Hallertau. Good in light bodied beers. In an IPA, they have such a low AA that they won't add much bittering and so mild that the flavor will be lost. If you're planning on a Cream Ale, throw them in the fridge and save them for that.

Cascades are a great choice for dry hopping. Just look around this site for hints on how to keep the hops from creating a flotilla in your fermenter.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thanks for the info again...its odd though all of the clone recipes that I've found for nugget nectar has crystal hops thrown into it at some point...Nugget Nectar is not an IPA though it is an amber ale which Im not sure what difference that makes...Im going to make the recipe by the book on this one but I will remember your advise!

Quick Reply