New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pellet hops in muslin bags?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
KnoxMainer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pellet hops in muslin bags?...

when using pellet hops in your wort do you need to put them in muslin bags or just toss them into wort and strain before going into fermenter?..Knox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxMainer1 View Post
when using pellet hops in your wort do you need to put them in muslin bags or just toss them into wort and strain before going into fermenter?..Knox.
Just toss them in. You don't need to strain them or siphon off the wort either. A lot of people just dump the whole boil, trub and all, into the fermenter.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
KnoxMainer1
Recipes 

will it just settle in the fermenter?..

Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Either way works. I personally throw the hops directly into my boil kettle. Once you're done boiling, you can then whirlpool the wort a few times when cooling. This will make sure that most of the break material and hops are clumped together in a cone in the middle of your kettle. You can then use you siphon to get the wort transferred over to your primary leaving the hops and break material in the kettle.

Using a muslin bag works great too, but that's just one more thing to clean out afterwards... I'm kinda lazy and don't use the bags anymore.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxMainer1 View Post
will it just settle in the fermenter?..
Yep. You can rack the beer off from the trub later on, i.e. when you move to secondary if you're going to be using a secondary.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since I use a plate chiller (which can clog) I once tried using muslin bags but found I needed up up the hops by 10%. I then switched to a reusable nylon bag and haven't noticed any decrease in utilization rates as compared to just dumping them in the kettle. But if clogging isn't an issue for you I would just dump them in.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Hilbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i use a bag and it works fine. i forgot to buy enough bags once and i noticed a difference in the clarity.

Tap 4: Heffe

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
dgez
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I used to use muslin bags for my hops, I thought it would make for easier straining. When I made extract brews on my kitchen stove, this was fine.

Then I purchased a propane burner so I could brew outside. The burner gives a much stronger boil than the stove. Anyway, I put my hops in the bag like I always did and threw it in. An hour later I pulled the bag out and guess what? No hops were in it. Never used a bag again. I always strain my wort with a fine cheese cloth like strainer and this gets 99% of the hops.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Next time you're at Lowes or Home Depot buy one or two 5 gallon size, and three or four gallon size nylon mesh paint strainer bags.

I used to weigh out and pre-package my hops ahead of time into however many gallon strainer bags, and then I would just toss the proper bag into the boiling wort when needed.

I still weigh out the hops, but put them into plastic containers. I use the five gallon nylon bag and just dump the hops from the container into the one large bag and tea bag the whole thing. I'd also give it a little love from the stir paddle during the boil.

Only have to clean one bag, not a bunch of goo in the kettle, and I get the right hops into the boil at the right time with no stress.

I use a plastic spring clamp to clamp the five gallon bag to the side of the kettle. Don't let it touch the bottom.

Good Luck.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Adam78K
Recipes 

Sometimes muslim bags work, sometimes they don't usually not fine enough. But I have paint straining bags, I'll have to try that instead.

On Deck Ryed Up Kolsch

Quick Reply