Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Patience is a Virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Patience is a Virtue

I started my first kit probably eight or nine weeks ago, a honey blonde ale by Brew House. I was as excited as any newbie to taste my first homebrew, so I opened a bottle after maybe ten days in the bottle, thought it was just okay, had another bottle maybe a week later, thought it was better, and started to drink it regularly after the presribed three weeks in the bottle. It was a nice beer.

In the interim I had bottled a few more kits and had a few more on the go. I was mostly drinking my second batch (a honey brown that came with liquid malt extract, grains I boiled, three types of hops, etc.) and sort of ignoring the honey blonde. Well...last night I cracked one of the honey blonde bottles and could not believe how much it had changed. Absolutely wonderful; significant honey flavour coming through that was not present before. It was a completely different beer. The kicker was later last night when I went to a buddy's house who had made the same kit about two weeks after me and we cracked a bottle of his. It tasted like mine USED to--good but not yet fully developed.

So now I know that when the voices of experience here on HBT say HAVE PATIENCE, they are right. When they say three weeks in the bottle is a MINIMUM, they are right. Of course I am left lamenting the fact that I have maybe 15 of 60 bottles left. Mind you, it will be easier to wait on stuff now that I have a decent stock of beer built up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Mind you, it will be easier to wait on stuff now that I have a decent stock of beer built up.
Lies! All LIES I tell you!

3 years in, and I am ALWAYS eager to try that new beer. And taste how it develops. Always getting down to the end and finding that if I just waited another couple weeks, it would have reached it's prime.

The new batch eagerness NEVER goes away, even if it's a repeat brew.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Lies! All LIES I tell you!

3 years in, and I am ALWAYS eager to try that new beer. And taste how it develops. Always getting down to the end and finding that if I just waited another couple weeks, it would have reached it's prime.

The new batch eagerness NEVER goes away, even if it's a repeat brew.
Amen brother. The only way around this is to brew 10G and stash 5. That leaves the other 5 for tasting.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wonder if there's some way to safely and cheaply mail a case of beer to yourself, but have it go through every major post office in america before coming back. That would give it at least several months to a year to age properly, and the constant carrying and shaking would build up a nice carbonation. That or some sort of nuclear powered time-lock safe that will only open once every six months.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I wonder if there's some way to safely and cheaply mail a case of beer to yourself, but have it go through every major post office in america before coming back. That would give it at least several months to a year to age properly, and the constant carrying and shaking would build up a nice carbonation. That or some sort of nuclear powered time-lock safe that will only open once every six months.
LMAO at the mailing idea!

Every time you make a batch, give a dozen to somebody you trust not to drink it and tell them to give it back to you in six months.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
There is a perfectly organic solution.

They are called infants, and they totally devastate your beer-time continuum.

By the time you can relax and enjoy a beer, you become unconscious for a 2-3 hour stretch. At some point you no longer care about primes except that you become overly eager to figure out how many beers you can divide into yourself.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yuri should make a time machine. I think argon gas is the ticket.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For most of my beers I follow a simple rule of thumb.

1 week of conditioning for every 10 gravity points for light beers
2 weeks for every 10 gravity points for darker beers

Blonde ales, light lagers and cream ales seem to be good at 2 months, peak at about 4 months and head downhill quickly after that, at least in my opinion.

I try to schedule my brewing so that by the time a keg blows I have a keg which is fully conditioned waiting to replace it. When kegging, I attach a note to the keg that reads "XX brew, brewed on XX, OG XX, FG XX, kegged on XX-XX, tap on XX-XX". I'll sneak a pint or two earlier as a sample, but reserve the rest for drinking when it is at its peak of flavor.

Similarly if I'm brewing for a comp, I adjust my brew date so that when it hits the judges glass it will be at its peak of flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
LMAO at the mailing idea!

Every time you make a batch, give a dozen to somebody you trust not to drink it and tell them to give it back to you in six months.
Volunteer!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I would be honored if you cut and pasted your post and added it to the canon of stories like this that I am collection here, so that others may see the collective wisdom of waiting.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/never-dump-your-beer-patience-virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply