Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Patience isn't my virtue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
tigerdentist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Patience isn't my virtue

My first brew was 2 wks in the primary, 2 in the secondary and has now been in the bottle for 4 days. If I was to sample a bottle now:

Would there be any carbonation?
Would the flavor be off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
ScottyT
Recipes 

No.

Most advice I have received here says you need to leave it in the bottle for at least 3 weeks, then move it to the fridge for at least a couple of days before partaking.

I drink a sample bottle at about 10 days (week + 3 days in fridge), 20 days, and 30 days. It is cool how much the beer changes in just that short amount of time.

I have always had problems with patience, but I think I have finally found the hobby that will teach me!

I BREW THE BEER I DRINK!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hell try one for fun you've got 48+. There will be little or no carbonation and it will taste "green" but will give you a good perspective of what changes beer goes through while carbonating/conditioning.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

after 4 days, you will not have stabilized carbonation. There may be bubbles, but the actual beer will not have dissolved the CO2. If this is your first try them at intervals starting at 10 days like mentioned above. Do not start drinking them in earnest until 3 weeks at least after bottling and conditioning at 70º. If you bottles are colder they will take longer to carb and condition.

EDIT: Also remember, every beer you drink when you know it isn't peak, is one beer you can't drink when they actually taste good.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I used to bottle I always tried a beer at 1 week and 2 weeks. It's going to change, it will get better, but I still had to try.

The hard part is when a beer tastes good at 1 week and you can't stay out of them.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I always figure that it's my beer so I can have one if I want! Then I justify it to myself that it's for scientific purposes (testing). Then I crack it and drink it.

The best way to be patient, for me, is to brew a lot. That way there's so much beer stuff going on I forget that they're ready!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
DtownRiot
Recipes 

My remedy has been to brew another batch around a week and a half after the first. After I bottle, I put the bottles in a far reaching area of my apartment, someone that i cant see them. out of sight out of mind

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
andreiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdentist View Post
My first brew was 2 wks in the primary, 2 in the secondary and has now been in the bottle for 4 days. If I was to sample a bottle now:

Would there be any carbonation?
Would the flavor be off?
Most likely "no" and "yes". 4 days is not enough time for the yeast to generate sufficient carbonation and clean up the beer. If you want to cut down on your brewing-to-drinking time, try skipping secondary. From reading and talking to the brewers I know, secondary is usually necessary if you dry hop or flavor your beer (like with vanilla beans, fruit, etc). I haven't done secondary yet and my beers have been just fine.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtownRiot View Post
My remedy has been to brew another batch around a week and a half after the first. After I bottle, I put the bottles in a far reaching area of my apartment, someone that i cant see them. out of sight out of mind
I bottled on Saturday, so I brewed on Saturday and again on Sunday to keep my paws off the newly bottled creation and give me something else to worry about for the next 3 weeks.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

If there's any carbonation in there whatsoever, it won't be much. It will taste funny. At 4 days in the bottle, you can sample it if you want. Just know that your finished beer won't taste anything like what you have now.

You might even learn a thing or two trying it early. If you do, you'll know what green beer tastes like. Just don't panic when it doesn't taste like what you're expecting.

Quick Reply