Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pasteurization?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
mdstrobe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pasteurization?

So I was thinking...

In order to improve the flavor of my brew, I was thinking if this will do anything so let me know if the flavor will be better.

So when I bottle, after about 2 weeks (to ensure that carbonation is in there), I'm thinking about boiling a big pot of water and putting my bottles (with beer) in the boiling water for about 15 minutes to pasteurize them and then setting to chill.

Let me know if this will improve my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

NO.

Bottle conditioning is a bonus of home brewing. Your beer will continue to mature and improve in the bottle. It depends on the style but some beers are best within the first four weeks while others continue to improve over 12+ months.

Heating the crap out of your beer may make it more shelf stable in high temperature, but it is unecessary and will be detrimental to the flavor of your beer.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
mdstrobe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Am I completely off base here?? Don't commercial breweries 'pasteurize' their beers?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstrobe View Post
Am I completely off base here?? Don't commercial breweries 'pasteurize' their beers?
Commercial breweries pasteurize their beer to facilitate a longer shelf life, more stable, consistent product batch to batch, and combat the effects of poor storage and handling. ie. beer in the back of a 90F semi truck, Or being shipped cross country for three weeks to a distributer for two weeks, then a store for three weeks, and finally to the consuner for as long as it takes them to drink it.

Natural bottle conditioning is the way to go. Just follow proper storage and handling techniques and your beer will be just fine.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Commercial beers also filter their beer through diatomaceous earth which pretty much strips away all the yeast and character of the beer in my opinion.

Quick Reply