Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > partial vs full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #41
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Yeah, probably 80F+
80F? Plus??

Will the fermentation temps swing that much from ambient temperature? I had the impression the actual temps were probably a few degrees higher (like 4-5 degrees).

Next batch should be better. I have an external temp controller for my freezer now.
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #42
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a question in line with the partial versus full amount of water, in regards to steeping grains. I had heard that you should steep your grains in a small amount of water rather than the entire five gallons for better extraction. It doesn't seem to make sense to me, you're still stepping the grains at the same temperature regardless of the water volume.

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan

80F? Plus??

Will the fermentation temps swing that much from ambient temperature? I had the impression the actual temps were probably a few degrees higher (like 4-5 degrees).

Next batch should be better. I have an external temp controller for my freezer now.
It can is all I'm saying, you only know if you measure though. A long time ago, I was fermenting beer in a closet with ambient 68F; the wort got up to 76F at full kraeusen. Jet fuel.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
It can is all I'm saying, you only know if you measure though. A long time ago, I was fermenting beer in a closet with ambient 68F; the wort got up to 76F at full kraeusen. Jet fuel.
Ah, this makes more sense. In a closet, the ambient could be quite a bit different from the temperature of the outside of the fermenter. I'd be surprised if the center of the wort could be that much higher than the outside edge, but it could easily be that much higher than an uncontained ambient.

In my fridge, except when the compressor is running, the wort and air pretty quickly reach equilibrium. In my closet, the wort (measured via a stick-on thermometer strip) is often fairly different from the air temperature. Just having the air contained and insulated makes a big difference!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #45
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg
Just having the air contained and insulated makes a big difference!
This has definitely been my experience.

Quick Reply