Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > partial vs full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I can do 3.5 gallons with no problem in a 5 gallon kettle, and could probably get away with 4 gallons if the need arose. More than that would be possible on a good day, but I'd expect boil overs with some regularity beyond that.

Two things that help. One, is that I do partial mashes with a late addition of DME 15-20 minutes before the end, so I have no extract at the start of the boil. I find that DME gives a much more vigorous hot break behavior than my own mashed wort.

Two, I stir continuously from the first signs of foaming until all (or very nearly all) the foam is gone and it's a clean boil. I also keep a spray bottle of water at hand and mercilessly spray any foam that looks like it's thinking about growing out of control. I find that if I get it early, it doesn't get out of control, but once you get a skin of foam over the top of the kettle you are in trouble.

I've never used LME, so I don't know how it compares, but when I add my DME and return to a boil, I find I get a huge thick foam layer that I really have to lay into with stirring and squirting or it tries to mushroom up out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Well, I brewed my second batch yesterday. It was NB's nut brown kit. I boiled with 3.5 gallons of water, instead of the 2.5 recommended by the recipe. When I put in the fuggle hops, I had a scary moment as the boil got right at the tip top of the rim. I had a spray bottle handy and that's what saved me. I had thought about going with 4 gallons when I started. Glad I didn't. So, I think 3.5 will be my limit until I get a bigger pot.

On another note, I also just added half of my extract at the start of my boil, instead of all of it. I put the other half in with about 10 minutes left in the boil, so we'll see how that goes. Looking forward to the results in a few weeks. The recipe calls for 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks bottle condition. I may let it sit an additional week in primary before bottling.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
Well, I brewed my second batch yesterday. It was NB's nut brown kit. I boiled with 3.5 gallons of water, instead of the 2.5 recommended by the recipe. When I put in the fuggle hops, I had a scary moment as the boil got right at the tip top of the rim. I had a spray bottle handy and that's what saved me. I had thought about going with 4 gallons when I started. Glad I didn't. So, I think 3.5 will be my limit until I get a bigger pot.

On another note, I also just added half of my extract at the start of my boil, instead of all of it. I put the other half in with about 10 minutes left in the boil, so we'll see how that goes. Looking forward to the results in a few weeks. The recipe calls for 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks bottle condition. I may let it sit an additional week in primary before bottling.
I'd bet cash money you could get away with boiling 4 gallons in in your 5 gallon pot using this magical stuff. This $2 bottle will last you forever, player. I use 1 drop per post boil gallon, so 11 drops into 13 gallons of wort, and I haven't come close to a boil over since. I'll never, ever, ever make a starter or brew without this stuff again. Amazing.

***I swear I don't work for the makers of Fermcap S, I just don't understand why more people aren't using it***

Cheers

Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
***I swear I don't work for the makers of Fermcap S, I just don't understand why more people aren't using it***

Cheers

LOL! It does seem like you work for them. I know you've mentioned it to me many times in this thread. The actual truth is, I forgot to order it with my last recipe. I don't know why it keeps slipping my mind.

NB has a "wishlist", and I try to make it a habit to go over it before placing an order, so I'll put it on there so I don't forget next time.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #25
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan

LOL! It does seem like you work for them. I know you've mentioned it to me many times in this thread. The actual truth is, I forgot to order it with my last recipe. I don't know why it keeps slipping my mind.

NB has a "wishlist", and I try to make it a habit to go over it before placing an order, so I'll put it on there so I don't forget next time.
You won't regret it.

FermCap S approves this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #26
Yesfan

Recipes 

Thought I would post an update.

I took a hydro reading earlier, and got a reading of 1.010. The pic below is my brown ale.

I'm sure it's ready for bottling, but I'll wait till Saturday anyways and do another hydro reading. My digital temp controller came in yesterday, so I may just cold crash this beer for about 3 days, then bottle it.

I have to say, I feel better about this batch than I did my first one and my first one wasn't bad imo (for my low standards).

The nut brown called for:

2.5 gallon boil
LME boil for a full 60 minutes
2 weeks primary
2 weeks bottle condition

Instead, per the advice given by Yooper and others here, I went with...

3.5 gallon boil
1/2 the extract boil for 60 minutes
the other 1/2 boil for the last 10 minutes
3 weeks primary (will be this by the 29th)

The beer might not be as clear to you seasoned brewers, but mine turned out clearer than I was expecting. It tasted pretty good. I'm looking forward to this one when it's done.

Appreciate the help too. Thanks a lot!

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Do not forget when using a kit or recipe set at a 2.5 gallon boil and you add to the boil, you need to adjust your hops. The more water, the hoppier your beer will end up.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4376 Times on 3183 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
Do not forget when using a kit or recipe set at a 2.5 gallon boil and you add to the boil, you need to adjust your hops. The more water, the hoppier your beer will end up.
Not really. The difference between a 2.5 gallon boil and a 3.5 gallon boil is negligible, particularly with adding the extract late in the boil in both.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Not really. The difference between a 2.5 gallon boil and a 3.5 gallon boil is negligible, particularly with adding the extract late in the boil in both.
Indeed. Actually, the difference between a 2.5 gallon boil and 5 gallon boil is pretty negligible, ultimately

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
By adding 1/4 of the extract at the beginning and the rest at the end, BrewTarget calculates roughly double the IBU's compared to adding all the extract at the beginning. I'm pretty sure BrewTarget uses the Tinseth formula.

Quick Reply