Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash for a Wheat Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Partial Mash for a Wheat Beer?

Not exactly a newb brewer, but the first time I'm trying this...

I've done partial mash brewing for the last few years, but never with a wheat beer. What kind of grains do you use in a partial mash for a wheat beer? Obviously, you'd use 2-row pale malt, but do you use wheat malt, torrified wheat? What's the difference? What's the ratio? I'm starting trial brews for my sister-in-law's wedding and she definitely wants a summer-y wheat beer.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Wheat beers are generally made up of one-half to two-thirds wheat malt with the remainder typically 2-row, with some noble hops and a BU:GU ratio somewhere around 0.35. Apart from that basic outline, some people add raw wheat to give it a little more grainy flavor, maybe some torrified wheat to assist with head retention, and then maybe a touch of aromatic or light crystal malt.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The trickiness would be that the extract part of your recipe and the mash part have to hit the right ratio together. Wheat extract is a combo of wheat and pale, so your mash would be a combo as well (50/50 works). If you use non-wheat extract, you'd have to use more wheat in the mash. I would use wheat extract for that part, and both 2-row and wheat malt.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So if I took an extract recipe that just used 6lbs of 55/45 wheat DME, and wanted to make a partial mash version, I would need to make sure the partial mash had equal parts 2-row and wheat malts? Are there any specialty malts that would add a nice flavor/character/texture that I could add? I saw a recipe that also had 8oz. of cara-pils in the mix, too.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Carapils is really just added for a little more body and head retention. It won't add any noticeable flavor. To be honest, most wheat recipes are very simple and often contain little more than 2-row, wheat or rye, and maybe a touch of a little something extra. So, I wouldn't get too adventurous with a lot of specialty grains. A quarter or half pound of an aromatic malt, crystal 20L, or maybe some Vienna if anything.

And you didn't mention if you're doing more of a hefe or an american wheat. One of the biggest flavor components will be from the type of yeast used.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess it's more of a hefe. It's for a lemon-coriander weiss. I'm trying to just use the most basic ingredients--wheat dme, 1 oz. saaz pellet hops, weihenstephan yeast and then the coriander and lemon in the secondary. It's from a recipe book that's given me problems in the past, but I thought keeping it simple might help for the first try of the recipe.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A German "Hefe Weizen" is a wheat/barley mix of 50/50 to 70/30%, any combination of Hallertau, Spalt or Tettnanger hops, and a German Hefe Weizen yeast. Nothing else. Very simple.

When you add lemon and corianer to the above it is no longer a HW but a conglomeration of something else altogether.

If you're going to add coriander and lemon to change the flavors of a HW why waste the time and effort of making a HW in the first place?

Just make an American Wheat beer and flavor it...

Sorry, I had to get it off my chest...one of my pet peeves...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hear you, and understand...just following the recipe for now. It's something that looked good to my sister-in-law, so I'm giving it a try. It did seem strange to me that it would use hefe yeast, but do something to it more akin to an American Wheat.

Any suggestions if I try it again, American style? Are the wheat/barley ratios different?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew View Post

Any suggestions if I try it again, American style? Are the wheat/barley ratios different?

Thanks!
There really isn't a difference in terms of grain bills between to the two styles and it is more or less the yeast. A hefe may use german malts instead of american malts, and an american wheat might add a little rye or something, but the real difference comes from the yeast. Some american versions go a little heavier on the hops whereas a german hefe really strives to bring the flavors from the yeast out with little hop presence.

A hefe relies on the esters and phenols produced by the hefe yeast, whereas an american wheat typically relies on a very crisp and clean fermenting yeast that doesn't display many of the flavors of a hefe. And when you get into commercial styles, the american version is often filtered while a hefe is meant to be cloudy and contain yeast.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew View Post
I hear you, and understand...just following the recipe for now. It's something that looked good to my sister-in-law, so I'm giving it a try. It did seem strange to me that it would use hefe yeast, but do something to it more akin to an American Wheat.

Thanks!
I second what marubozo said.

If she wants the lemon and coriander...the bride gets what the bride wants...

Basically, you can use the recipe you have just change out the hops and yeast.

If you need help...we're here for that too...

Quick Reply