Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash Substitution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Why does everyone here say that? Shouldn't all-grain be referred to as the lighter side?
Honestly I think that term came form the greenboard and it is being used here.....I think it is kind of stupid too, but does that prevent me from saying it? ....No.

As for partial mash--I don't get it. If you are even remotely thinking about doing partial mash, just take the extra step and go all-grain. The equipment upgrade is ridiculously cheap, easier, and ultimately will make your batches cheaper. DME/LME is expensive when you compare to just grain.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
cgravier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default zap-pap-tap-crap-what? (go giants!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild7
hmm for most of my brews I'm gonna need 4.5 pounds of grain. Glad I bought that giant strainer.

it might be kind of hard (low effeciency) to mash that much in a collander, i usually mash 6-7 lbs,and add 3 lbs d.m.e. but i do it in some frost buckets i got at the food store. just go to Shoprite, or a-n-p or whever you jersey people shop these days and ask in the bakery section for some buckets they use for frosting. you will need two, clean em up real good and make a zap-pap mash/luater tun for free...

p.s. dont let them try and give you pickle buckets, you will never get that smell out! frosting buckets are great, they are food-grade and are usually 4.5 g. which is perfect for up to 8-10 lbs. grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply