New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
IW396STL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partial Mash Question

If 1qt/lb of water for grains.
Would it be .75qt/lb of LME and .6qt/lb of DME? Does it even make a difference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not really sure if I understand the question.

But, for extract it doesn't matter how much water you use. You are using the extract to meet a certain OG. You are supplementing extract for a smaller grain bill.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The water ratio, which should be about 1.25qt/lb for grain is to mash the grain. You may want to read the partial mash sticky thread.

This does not apply to the LME or DME you are using. Those would be added to the main boil kettle just as the boil starts. There is no mix ratio required other than what your recipe calls for.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
The water ratio, which should be about 1.25qt/lb for grain is to mash the grain. You may want to read the partial mash sticky thread.

This does not apply to the LME or DME you are using. Those would be added to the main boil kettle just as the boil starts. There is no mix ratio required other than what your recipe calls for.
very true! If you have 5 lbs of LME and 4 lbs of grains and you need 1qt/lb then you only need 4 quarts water....

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
IW396STL
Recipes 

Yeah, the reason I was asking was because I was steeping like 6lbs of grains and didnt know if I needed to add more water for the DME. Previously I was only steeping like 2lbs max and didnt think twice about it. Thanks guys, I looked around in the threads but I didnt find what I was looking for.

Quick Reply