Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
billf2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Against my better judgement I did a batch with pumpkin puree in the mash. Got a stuck mash. Turned into a brew day from hell. Gas ran out with 10 minutes left in the boil. Other things happened that were my fault also. One things, I got good pumpkin taste from the mash, happy with results.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Skeptidelphian
Hidden River Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Well mine was a partial mash, so it was contained in a bag. I ended up having to mash longer because I relied on a crappy meat thermometer which gives readings 15 degrees higher than reality (no wonder my rares were coming out medium). Got a lab thermometer instead and after letting it sit at 140 for an hour, finally got it to 155 and mashed it.

I got a crazy high mash efficiency though, something like 92% (if my reading of the hydrometer was correct).

It smells a heck of a lot like pumpkin pie though. I'll probably rack it off the trub on the 29th and let it bright/condition and put some spice tea in for two weeks before bottling.

Conditioning: Nothing
On Tap: Nothing
In the Works: Boathouse Row Brown Ale, Pumpkin Milk Stout, Centennial IPA, Winter Warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply