Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash Partial Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Kosch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I saved the thread where the member bought that 5 burner higher BTU stove for that very purpose. I guess we'll know who got there tax return 1st!!!
**Here's the thread link; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/new-stove-276024/
And the pics; 30" Freestanding Gas Range with 5 Sealed Burners, Quick Boil Burner, Center Burner, 5.0 cu. ft. Oven Capacity, Even Bake Technology, Express-Select Controls and Storage Drawer
Alright, the race is on! I was searching around earlier, saw some varying comments about minimum BTU, seems like a lot of people were saying 30,000 btu is minimum for a full boil. All the stoves I saw seemed to max at around 15,000 BTU. But I figure if my crappy electric stovetop can get 3 gallons boiling in an hour, a 15k BTU should handle 7 gallons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Kosch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Jamison: that sounds awesome with the raspberries, I may have to plan for another one this summer with some!

kh54s10: You know, I wasn't sure about that, but since you mentioned it I re-read it, and yeah that makes sense. I haven't read the AHS instructions yet, but I was reading some partial mash recipes and a lot talked about full boil. Thanks for mentioning that, one more mark for my confidence!

Hoping to get one of these going this weekend, but not sure how that will go with all the turkey day planning.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosch

Alright, the race is on! I was searching around earlier, saw some varying comments about minimum BTU, seems like a lot of people were saying 30,000 btu is minimum for a full boil. All the stoves I saw seemed to max at around 15,000 BTU. But I figure if my crappy electric stovetop can get 3 gallons boiling in an hour, a 15k BTU should handle 7 gallons?
Yes, it will. There's a big difference between a stovetop and an outdoor propane burner. My old 18k stovetop had absolutely no problems with full boils.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
Kosch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Yes, it will. There's a big difference between a stovetop and an outdoor propane burner. My old 18k stovetop had absolutely no problems with full boils.
GREAT! Thanks for that, I was starting to worry. I don't really have a place to setup a turkey fryer outside that's easy to get too, nor would the weather be decent enough to do so for at least 5-6 months.

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

That's why I can't wait for tax time! Our electric stove that came with the house when we built it is on it's last legs. And since we have both hook ups...

Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Kosch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's why I can't wait for tax time! Our electric stove that came with the house when we built it is on it's last legs. And since we have both hook ups...
Oh yeah I hear that! Our stove is about 10 years old, still looks new, but having to replace all the elements gets expensive. I think it was going to be around $100, might as well put that towards a new stove! Heres to tax return season!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Here here! I don't wanna waste money,time,& effort trying to fix an 11 year old machine. R&R,I say!

Quick Reply