Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial mash isn't getting sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Partial mash isn't getting sweet

Hey guys,
I am following Deathbrewer's Partial stove top mash.
I have 2 KG of Munich in a grain bag, I have got the heat up to 160 dF twice. The first time I took the pot off the stove and wrapped it in layers to insulate. The second time I left it on the stove and checked that the temp was still around 150.
This is only my 2nd partial mash. The first one I did was with Pilsner Malt. I left the pot on the stove over night and the next morning it was as sweet as honey.
My Munich mash is only slightly sweet. It may have a little bit of the creamed corn DMS taste to it.
any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

For starters, 160 is pretty high for a mash. Its possible that in heating it that high, you've denatured a decent amount of the enzymes, which would prevent them from generating sugars. Secondly, how much water are you using, and how long did the mash go for? I'll admit that I don't normally taste my mashes, so I'm not sure how sweet they should taste. However, I could imagine that some of the bready flavors you get from Munich being roasted a little more than Pilsner might wind up covering up some of the sweetness of the sugars that have been released.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I would do an iodine test.

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

I wrap my BK/MT in my thinsulate lined winter hunting coat after stiring in the grains at150F. Breaking up dough balls,ect to get'em evenly wet. The mash is usually up to about 152F at this point. I cover it & wrap it up for an hour. The temp usually goes up 1 degree over the hour with 5lbs of grains & 2 gallons of water. What amounts,etc did you use?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

I used 2 KG (about 5 #) of Munich in 2 Gallons of water. I used the wrap up approach the first time with this batch. Then I heated it up and monitored it on the stove top to see it held around 150 for more than an hour. I think the suggestion posted here about bread flavours covering up the sweetness may be right. It was sweet but not like the pilsner batch I'd had before. Different grain I guess.
I boiled it for 90 mins so DMS would not be an issue.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

Heating it to 160 for too long could well have nutralized some enzymes as was suggested. Preventing them from converting all starches to sugars. The winter hunting coat I mentioned has a lightmairy material surrounding the thinsulate that traps air. Air is a great insulator when trapped,so it holds the heat well in my BK/MT over the one hour mash. I think whatever you layered it with was insufficient to hold enough heat ofer time.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

I think I did overheat it and deactivate the enzymes.
I'm hoping that the 5.3 KG of extract in my Belgian Dark Strong will make up for what I lost in the Munich partial mash
thanks
SHAL

Quick Reply