Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > partial mash...full boil...batch sparge amounts..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

do you choose to stay with PM because of the jump in equipment (outside burner/ big pot)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The reason you need to care is so that you don't over sparge. The easy rule of thumb is to not use more than 4 quarts of brewing water per pound of grain. That's strike + sparge.

Example. If you mash 4 pounds of grain and strike with 2 gallons (that's 2qts/lb). Given that, you want to limit your sparge to another 2 gallons. Your total preboil will be about 3.5 gallons.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks, Bobby - that's a super helpful tip. Very easy to remember.

I'm assuming you can split up that 4 qts/lb any way you want, right? So, given your example, if I started with 4 lbs of grain and strike with 5 quarts (1.25qts/lb), then I could still be safe with sparging up to 11 quarts?

And if I wanted to add more water after that (to get closer to full boil amount, say), I could do that after removing the grains (I use DB's stovetop PM method)?

Just making sure. Thanks again for the tip.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, after that sparge amount, any new water should be added directly to the kettle. At that point the PH of the mash could be way the heck off and you don't want to extract tannins and other nasty flavors.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post
do you choose to stay with PM because of the jump in equipment (outside burner/ big pot)?
I'm currently an apartment brewer, so I have nowhere to brew outside for now. We're hoping to buy our first house later in the year, so I'll be making the leap sometime after that.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply