Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
titletowngirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partial mash

Hello everyone. Because of all your help and great advice we have brewed many successful beers over the last year. Now we officially have the sickness! We want to enter into the all-grain world but start off with a partial mash. I would love any advice on equipment needs, books that are good resources, etc....to make this move. It seems kind of daunting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

partial mash covers a lot of ground.

do you want to add a small amount of base malt to convert specialty grains that need mashing? Or do you want to replace a significant portion of the extract in recipes for cost savings and retain the ability of stovetope partial boils?

a 5 gallon round cooler is both big enough for quite a bit of grain while still having your wort volumes small enough for stovetop boiling AND small enough for a deep grain bed in small mashes. really small mashes can be done with the pots you already steep grains with.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When I converted to partial mash brews, I used a 3 gallon drink cooler and a large reusable grain bag. I was only mashing about 5 lbs of grains so that worked well for me, plus it had a spout. If you are going all grian soon you could get a five gallon ine and convert it into a mash tun.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
When I converted to partial mash brews, I used a 3 gallon drink cooler and a large reusable grain bag. I was only mashing about 5 lbs of grains so that worked well for me, plus it had a spout.
I used to do the same thing, now I use it for small 2.5 gal all grain batches. I can get 7 lbs in there and get about 76-77% efficiency batch sparging. One thing - my gatorade drink cooler does have a spout that will flip on all the way on so I don't have to hold it down the whole time. I'd recommend that if you go this route and you're not going to modify it.

Quick Reply