HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial boil to full boil kettle size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Mase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very insightful Kaz. I never thought about losing that much volume to break material. Is that something more common in all grain as opposed to extract? Also, when referring to the second loss in volume via bottling, is that mainly from the yeast cake forming?

The more I find out the more questions start running through my head. I will definitely be getting a 10 gallon pot now though!

"I'm gaining weight the right way: I'm drinking beer," Johnny Damon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post
Very insightful Kaz. I never thought about losing that much volume to break material. Is that something more common in all grain as opposed to extract? Also, when referring to the second loss in volume via bottling, is that mainly from the yeast cake forming?

The more I find out the more questions start running through my head. I will definitely be getting a 10 gallon pot now though!
You'll have more break material with all grain, but still some with extract. You will also have hop material and anything else you add to the boil. After fermentation, it is mostly yeast that has settled out along with any of the gunk that you brought along from the kettle. Despite my best efforts, I always still get break material into the carboy that settles out during fermentation.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply